Power out from hurricane. How long?

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im in palm beach Fl, power Jst went out. Put bubblers in the tank. Got a generator but still pretty bast to fire it up yet. How long do I have?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im in palm beach Fl, power Jst went out. Put bubblers in the tank. Got a generator but still pretty bast to fire it up yet. How long do I have?

Will need to keep water moving till power is back on for oxygen. Lights for the corals, 3-4 days without. From there, hang in there!

jpcrash1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a battery air pump should be good for quite awhile from what I understand.

tj w

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine for a while with the air pump. Depending on tank size and inhabitants as well.

OP
OP
Darbna

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will need to keep water moving till power is back on for oxygen. Lights for the corals, 3-4 days without. From there, hang in there!
Got the bubblers on now. Generator will move water tomarrow. Hoping to no lise the sps I been working on. Can't put the generator on until tomarrow.

*K&AreeFers*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with all the above, depending on the tank size you should be fine id say at least an hour then you have to start to figure out something, maybe manually dunking and pouring water in the tank to keep everything going till you get the generator up

OP
OP
Darbna

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 125 sps dominated tank with a sailfin tang, 2 clowns, and 4 anthias. Other is a 265 with s ton of fish. And all lps coral.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you have controllable return pumps but I'd ramp it down to minimal to save on power and leave the skimmer on. - This will provide good oxygen - which is the most critical aspect, then comes heat. Don't forget to monitor other major parameters (Alk, PH, Ammonia, NO/PO) and dose and reduce feeding accordingly. Plan for 7 + days without power but hope for less than 24Hrs.

Best of luck to you and your fishes!

OP
OP
Darbna

Darbna

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well just got home form NC, drove overnight. Power on, quick look with the flashlight and everything looks to be doing good. All my Acro and Monti are alive. Gonna do a big water change on both tanks today. Gonna get some shut eye now since I am going on 26 hours no sleep. Glad to be back and fortunate the Hurricane only did some moderate gardening outside. Structure is seems fine and dont see any damage.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of deep cycle marine batteries connected in parallel to a 5000 watt inverter and transfer switch. With the exception of the heater, everything is connected to it and I get about 12-16 hours of operation. Cost about $500.00 to put together and a small price to pay to protect my investment.

Water flow is probably the most important thing, so I would keep my power heads running any way I could. Of course, the sooner you get some kind of power, the better.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might get one of those while house automatic propane generators....JUST for the circuit my tank is on

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas. With all of the devastation I have been thinking about my backup plan (or lack thereof). I live in the north and when we lose electricity it is because of snow. So the first consideration is heaters. The second oxygen.

We have two deep cycle batteries on the camping trailer and the harbor freight solar panels to charge them. I would need an inverter. (probably dirt cheap at HF).

Do you think that would be enough for heat and circulation for a few days?

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to use a battery air pump and some frozen water bottles to keep the temperature down. Monitor salinity as it can creep up with evaporation from the warmer temperatures. Now that more people are getting power back, ask your local club for anything you may need. Most will offer help and lend you equipment. FPL is working relatively fast, compared to the outages we experienced after Wilma. Hang in there.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might get one of those while house automatic propane generators....JUST for the circuit my tank is on

Whole house for 1 circuit? Why not make it available to the whole house?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great ideas. With all of the devastation I have been thinking about my backup plan (or lack thereof). I live in the north and when we lose electricity it is because of snow. So the first consideration is heaters. The second oxygen.

We have two deep cycle batteries on the camping trailer and the harbor freight solar panels to charge them. I would need an inverter. (probably dirt cheap at HF).

Do you think that would be enough for heat and circulation for a few days?

I purchased 2 deep cycle batteries from the local auto parts store. I purchased a 5000 watt Cobra inverter and I purchased a 110v auto transfer switch (you can get them at solar supply warehouses). And lastly, I purchased a Battery Tender.

I built a small rack on wheels and wired the batteries in parallel to the inverter. The Battery tenders are on the batteries and when the power goes out, the transfer switch senses the power loss and flips over to the battery.

It runs my entire system for 12-16 hours. The heater is the only device not connected.

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased 2 deep cycle batteries from the local auto parts store. I purchased a 5000 watt Cobra inverter and I purchased a 110v auto transfer switch (you can get them at solar supply warehouses). And lastly, I purchased a Battery Tender.

I built a small rack on wheels and wired the batteries in parallel to the inverter. The Battery tenders are on the batteries and when the power goes out, the transfer switch senses the power loss and flips over to the battery.

It runs my entire system for 12-16 hours. The heater is the only device not connected.

I have the battery tender. I don't think I'll use a switch, more risky, but I'll go manual on the hooking up of stuff. So with my setup and the inverter I should be good for several days with just heater and return pump, then with the solar panels and some sunlight I should be good to go with lights and more. Love the idea! Thanks!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back