power outage killing 2 months later?

stephenhall1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think a power outage could kill stuff 2 months later?

I had a 3 day power outage over 2 months ago. I had battery powered air pumps going 24/7, and was able to borrow a generator off and on (had to share it) that I used to run the whole tank. But the tank tamp still dipped into the 50s. I lost 1 fish, and a few corals that week, then it settled down. But I feel like it never looked 100% since.

This week, 34 heads of my hammer colony and a blue tort acro have died. 2 encrusting sps (idk what they are) are receding, and a lot of my other euphyllias look droopy. I've tested the water, I can't find anything wrong.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have sand? If so there was probably a lot of die off within the sandbed. My suggestion would be to start aggressively cleaning the sand.

OP
OP
stephenhall1987

stephenhall1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sand, bare bottom. 125g display, 55g sump. I do a 30g water change once per week. High powered refugium keeps nitrates near 0 (I had to back off the rafugium light duration to keep a trace of nitrate).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back