Power Outage?!? What to do!

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure a lot of us have had this feeling or even the lingering thought in the back of our minds about dreaded power outages.. what am I going to do for my reef tank?

Just this past week I experienced a 24+ hour outage with my reef tank, and on top of it all my generator was flooded in my side room with about 8" of rain water! Check out this weeks video where I talk about my experiences and what I did to help keep the health of my reef tanks going.

What do you do when the power is out? Lets discuss!

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait the 10 seconds until my generator automatically kicked in. Seriously a whole home generator is a great investment.
If I wasnt renting this would be my automatic move! Agreed the peace of mind I am sure is surreal!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone clammers "get a portable generator, get a portable generator!"

Major problem is when you go the start your gas powered generator, most likely it won't start bc its been sitting idle AND hasn't been stored properly.

Put you lawnmower in storage for 2+ years then try and start it in an emergency.

My plan is to have a 2000w power inverter that can be hooked to my cars battery.... along with a long extension cord to skeleton power up heaters + powerheads.

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone clammers "get a generator,get a generator!"

Major oroblem is when you go the start your gas powered generator, most likely it won't start bc it hasn't been stored properly.

Put you lawnmower in storage for 2+ years then try and start it in an emergency.

My plan is to have a 2000w power inverter that can be hooked to my cars battery.... along with a long extension cord to skeleton power up heaters + powerheads.

That’s why you start it once or twice a month and run it for 10 mins...

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone clammers "get a portable generator, get a portable generator!"

Major problem is when you go the start your gas powered generator, most likely it won't start bc its been sitting idle AND hasn't been stored properly.

+1 power inverters are great. I have a big deep cycle marine battery I run my inverter off of in an emergency. And my car battery is the back up for that.

OP
OP
KingTideCorals

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 power inverters are great. I have a big deep cycle marine battery I run my inverter off of in an emergency. And my car battery is the back up for that.
Considered snagging a marine battery for this exact reason.. got my mind tinkering!

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can a cars charging system actually put out 2000 watts of power?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank does fine with aeration run by battery powered pumps. I think I have gone for 5 days this way. I am in FL so there is scant risk of temperature problems. I also have a light fish load.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gyre pump alone runs through a UPS Battery backup system for computers. It provides the most surface water turnover per wattage of anything I have. Next time some drunk moron crashes into the neighborhood transformer again (happened twice already) I’m covered for about 11 hrs of water movement. Lost a few $$$ fish last time it happened.

Trivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STORED properly my Honda has always started w/o issue even after 2 years. When I'm done, I shut off the gas, run it till it the engine stops. If you decide to empty the tank or use fuel stabilizer is your choice.

DinoMagnet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
STORED properly my Honda has always started w/o issue even after 2 years. When I'm done, I shut off the gas, run it till it the engine stops. If you decide to empty the tank or use fuel stabilizer is your choice.
+1 it should always be stored with no fuel in lines. Also with a generator you have the liberty of running other important appliances in the house.

Back