Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What power outage!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416001193.693916.jpg

Take that CL-P...lol

Seriously though you gotta love generators in this hobby they are literally a life saver.

Who else has a generator for their tanks and how do you have it hooked up? Mine is hooked up with heavy duty extension cords, but it works when I need it. I would love to have an automatic setup someday!

Last edited:

Bryan47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drove out to Walmart last week during a power outage to buy one of those battery back up things. Harbor freight has a generator for $130. I'm gonna get it just for the tank

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220 exterior outlet connected to a dedicated breaker in the main breaker panel of the house. (Must be in off position when utilities are on)

Power goes out, connect 220 cord from generator to exterior outlet. Go inside an turn off all breakers including main. Crank generator, flip exterior 220 breaker on to power the panel, then all 110 breakers on. I do not turn on any 220 breakers for appliances. I leave the main breaker in the off position until the generator is turned off and disconnected from the house. This is a must.

This powers everything in the house except the water heater, air cond/heat, washer/dryer and electric range. I have a chiller for summer and extra aquarium heaters for winter.

Insurance!

****Disclaimer****

This works for me.... I recommend contacting an electrician to make sure wiring is done properly according to local codes.

james30ct

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
220 exterior outlet connected to a dedicated breaker in the main breaker panel of the house. (Must be in off position when utilities are on)

Power goes out, connect 220 cord from generator to exterior outlet. Go inside an turn off all breakers including main. Crank generator, flip exterior 220 breaker on to power the panel, then all 110 breakers on. I do not turn on any 220 breakers for appliances. I leave the main breaker in the off position until the generator is turned off and disconnected from the house. This is a must.

This powers everything in the house except the water heater, air cond/heat, washer/dryer and electric range. I have a chiller for summer and extra aquarium heaters for winter.

Insurance!

****Disclaimer****

This works for me.... I recommend contacting an electrician to make sure wiring is done properly according to local codes.

Look up breaker interlocks. Inexpensive and makes it so you never accidentally back feed the grid.

OP
OP
Vaiodude

Vaiodude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Insurance!

****Disclaimer****

Now that is a setup! Someday that would be the way I would like to go. I need a higher wattage generator 1st.

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up breaker interlocks. Inexpensive and makes it so you never accidentally back feed the grid.

Yes, an interlock kit at the panel is the way to go. It's basically a sliding piece of metal that will not allow the main and the gen breaker to be on at the same time. They're a good investment imo.

ctopal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We bought a big *** generator a couple years ago and of course haven't lost power since.

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1 x a lot. I'm an electrician and I put one of these in my panel. Never know when you will be stressing out and forget a step.

RWinfrey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went full auto.....200 gl of propane ......ahhhhh no tank or home stress

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is one of those things that I said I had to get when I started my tank...........a year ago. Haven't done it yet But now its at the top of my list. Well uh unless I see some LEDs really cheap

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back