Power Outage

Braveheart!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

I live on The Outer Banks in NC and we are heading to hurricane season. When the power goes out it can get hot fast. Just wondering what other do to cool their tanks. I have a backup battery for the power heads and some frozen ice that helps. But, I have a 90 gallon Tank and would need a lot of ice. Any input would be great. Also how much ice do other keep on hand.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have heard of many freezing half gallon milk jugs, with water not milk btw lol. A generator is one of the best investments I have made in the last few years though. Even a small one can help. Best of luck to you and stay safe :)

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone

I live on The Outer Banks in NC and we are heading to hurricane season. When the power goes out it can get hot fast. Just wondering what other do to cool their tanks. I have a backup battery for the power heads and some frozen ice that helps. But, I have a 90 gallon Tank and would need a lot of ice. Any input would be great. Also how much ice do other keep on hand.
If your tank doesn't get over 86 degrees, you'll be fine from a temperature standpoint. I wouldn't start stressing until it gets around 85.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank doesn't get over 86 degrees, you'll be fine from a temperature standpoint. I wouldn't start stressing until it gets around 85.
That is hot, I would be concerned at 82.
Generator, battery backup, Ice. Inverter attached to a car.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Houston here.
I have a bunch of 16 and 20 oz bottles (from soda, water, etc) refilled with water and sitting in the freezer. When my AC crapped out a few summers ago, I was able to use the bottles to keep the tank from heating up. Obviously, I had electricity so could refreeze them, but other than having a genny big enough to power central AC, if a big (summer) storm hits and the power is out for extended periods, we're SOL.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is hot, I would be concerned at 82.
Generator, battery backup, Ice. Inverter attached to a car.
I'm in San Diego and it's too expensive to run ac here. My acro-dominant system sits at 84-5 degrees typically from mid july to mid october. I've never noticed any ill effects. I probably get better coral growth come to think of it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 82 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back