Power setting for gyres on Icecap backup

LeonThePeon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After two “scheduled” (but unnotified) power outages in two weeks (we don’t usually get outages often) that was a few doors down and yesterday’s affected 400 customers - got a bit of a scare for my 12’ /400+ gallon tank.

For powerheads - I’ve got two Apex WAVs and two sets (4 pumps) of Maxspect 250s

I’ve got the WAVs and the skimmer on a UPS that would only last a couple hours max. Once that gives - I’ve got the Icecap with the gyres.

I’ve got all the Maxspects on an Icecap - and thinking to redo it for max runtime in an outage.

Question is what would be the minimum flow to keep the water oxygenated to keep tank life alive? (Or how do we determine it?) I’m pretty certain those D cell battery air bubblers ain’t going to cut it unless I have 10 of them - haha!

The claim is that the Icecap can run up to 35hrs with 50w running at 30% (so I’m guessing the pack can run 15w for about 35hrs).

So I thought I would unplug one pair from the Icecap and change the other pair to run at 15% when on battery power.

I’m going to plug the pair (not on Icecap) into my Apex to see what the draw is - but assuming the 250’s specs - one runs 60w max; two therefore 120w max - 15w of 120w would be around 13%.

Think that setup would be enough to keep the fish (and eventually coral) filled tank alive for at least a day?

* Note - I’ll be running Vectra L1 return pump on a Ecotech battery - quick guess is that it will run less than 10hrs. Skimmer and WAVs on a UPS will last less than 3hrs - all of which is sump related. So I’m hoping to keep the DT oxygenated for as long as possible.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back