powerhead in sump

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do people put powerheads in the sump, where are you blowing all that stuff to, back to the DT?

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have two in mine to keep detritus in the water column, cycled through tank back to my filter socks.

OP
OP
R

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you running filter socks how did it get in the sump to begin with? Not being smarta**, considering it . But I always thought to let it settle in the sump and then stuck it out during water changes

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But if you running filter socks how did it get in the sump to begin with? Not being smarta**, considering it . But I always thought to let it settle in the sump and then stuck it out during water changes
Some always seems to build up in sump I change positions frequently of the powerheads to reach all areas. Have them on a timer ran through apex to turn on once an hour. Still seems to build up every once in a while but helps significantly.

OP
OP
R

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming best way to implement this would be after I have done a water change and cleaned out the sump, i dont run socks , and am afraid it will just find a different place to settle, (like in the back of DT behind my rock knowing my luck)

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a powerhead in my refugium to get better flow through my chaeto. Without it, the flow goes mostly over the chaeto. Works well.

Also, I believe that a powerhead in your refugium can be part of the 10x turn-over specified for the Triton Method.

OP
OP
R

ru4serious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes on previous tank I had on in the fuel as well but don't have room for a fuge on this tank so I use a ATS

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why do people put powerheads in the sump, where are you blowing all that stuff to, back to the DT?
As we set our sump up to maintain and support life I believe its needed. I also set up flow under the rock with many flow bars to help keep flow there to move sediments out from under the live rock ,again for some flow and cleanliness. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back