Powerhead placements

Beazy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I was just looking to get some ideas on where to place a new powerhead. Right now I have 2 MP40s(circled in red) on the back wall of my reefer 750 G2(6x2x2).

I’m starting to get detritus accumulating on the sand bed so I was thinking of adding a third powerhead to help with that. I have viewing panes on the front and right hand side of the tank and I was hoping to put something in the left(circled in green) that could shoot water across the tank.

Previously I tried to make a fake gyre by having the 2 MP40s placed closed to the top on the left hand side and it did hit a majority of the tank, just had little flow on the right hand side. If it helps, I wanted to do an Acro tank.

At first I was thinking of a MP60 but those things are like 900 dollars. Same would thing if I decided to set up 2 mp40’s on the left panel. Right now I’m leaning towards a single ReefWave45, just don’t know if it will reach the other end of the tank.

Bonus points if it works through möbius/mxm so I can use feed mode on my apex but also not entirely sold on it since afaik there isn’t an easy compatible apex gyre

Side note - the hair algae is bad but I’ve been winning the battle recently

IMG_0038.jpeg

Jason_MrFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
With an acro tank you are going to need more flow. At least another mp40. If not look at an mp60 for the majority of flow and use those mp40 to take care of dead zones. Maybe also consider a Gyre cloud 350

Grassy_Nole

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with above. You are gonna want to make sure you have no dead spots, as those acros need flow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back