Powerhead position help please?

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, trying to increase the flow in my reef tank. I have a 220g, its 6 feet long, 31 tall, and 24 wide. I have 2 Jaebo powerheads that each push up to 5200gph. I just set them up on the left glass panel to go the 6ft distance and create a gyre effect. I have 150ish # of live rock but it's set up more like back wall style instead of island style bc I was a newbie and I'm not planning to break it all down at this point. I was doing research and people say that a chaotic flow is the best for corals though? I have a mix of mostly lps and some sps. Wondering what's the best placement would be for the tank? Thanks!!!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try one on wither end of the tank. U can set them in anti-sync mode to get a gyre.
Random flow is indeed best for SPS, but LPS like a gyre

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay thanks
so only 1 running at a time, how long of intervals?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on your coral....

* SPS love high flow
* LPS get irritated with high flow
* Softies melt away under high flow ( last year spent about $800 on Live Sale on Zoas. Lost about 90% of them bc I was experimenting with high flow. Urinated them off to the point that most melted b4 I could save them)

stevewright1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 at each end would by my choice also and thereafter experiment with placement until your corals appear happy
directly facing each other would give most chaotic flow at the point in which the flows from each head meet
I have found my corals have appeared happier when I placed them close to opposite each other but slightly off set (mine are twin head SumSum model and basically one head of each is opposite one head of the other side)
this gives me some chaotic flow in the center area and less chaotic but still reasonable flow towards front and back of tank

its no easy task finding placement in which every coral seems to appear happy, and occasionally working out a flow to suite the majority and thereafter replacing the minority of corals (the ones that don't seem to open up as well as they used to) to other areas they may seem happier in has often been my solution .

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I have montis, acros, birds nest, favia, psammacora, stylophoras, and brain, and lepto. I have torches, bubbles, hammers, Duncan's, xenia, gsp, candy canes, torch, mushrooms, yellow leather. I'll try the one at each end and shuffle the corals. Thanks.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 120 4x2x2.
2 tunze 6095's on the back wall pointing toward the center of the front display. 2 jebao ow 25's on opposite ends pointing at each other. One is higher than the other. They each are set on pulse mode around 10 seconds on and off at 100%. This gives nice random flow with no accumulation of detrius on the bare bottom. Tank has minimalist look with 60 ish poumds if rock.

Daniel’sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 120 4x2x2.
2 tunze 6095's on the back wall pointing toward the center of the front display. 2 jebao ow 25's on opposite ends pointing at each other. One is higher than the other. They each are set on pulse mode around 10 seconds on and off at 100%. This gives nice random flow with no accumulation of detrius on the bare bottom. Tank has minimalist look with 60 ish poumds if rock.
Pictures

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200225_193928.jpg
20200224_191600.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 47 51.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.8%
Back