Powerhead Too Strong

RDUB58

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought a Tunze 6065. Way too strong for my 66 gallon. Problem is I can't return it. Not sure anyone will buy it from me. What can I do to reduce the flow? Bulk Reef Supply won't take it back. Right now its blasting my live rock so it won't blow sand everywhere. Thoughts? Buy bigger grained sand? I don't know.

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is one of those tough trial-and-error situations my friend. Tunze makes some powerheads with wider nozzles which reduce velocity of the water. The type of sand you use can have a marked effect on your required maintenance level, and can also have a profound impact on your systems biological stability (more important for well-established systems) - so keep this in mind if you are thinking about switching....

My suggestion would first be to do some research on which powerhead(s) are best suited for your tank dimensions, substrate, and (intended?) livestock. Maybe just doing a forum search for "65" and looking at the powerheads being used.... From there, sell or trade in your Tunze and purchase the appropriate powerhead(s).

I would do this before I swapped out my substrate. Unless you are certain the flow your current Tunze is producing is one you and your tank inhabitants will be able to appreciate long-term.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back