PowerHeads and Wave makers for Nanos

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,
The next piece of equipment i need is a powerhead or wave maker. I am going for a 15-20 gallon build. What are some new quality wave makers out there these days ? Is the maxspect gyre still one of the best out there ? I am an advanced reefer and I am looking for some quality equipment! Thanks for thoughts !

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like my AI Nero 3’s, I have a 30 l (36 inch) and I only run them on 40-50%. I had an IceCap 1k which worked great just takes up a lot of visual space, the Neros are very low key And open the look of the tank.

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ai nero 3s are great.
ive heard great things about the reef Breeders RP-M. The gyre works great on my 210g

reefbeard

Bearded Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An MP10 with the Neat Aquatics wide flow adapter has worked very well for my nano.
212345-niche3d-wideflowmp10-cover-le.jpg

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre. Go with the maxspect jump gyre 2k. The wave motion is way better than a single ai nero 3. If you were goi by to do 2 Nero 3s then that would be better but a single Nero vs a gyre 2k nah

Last edited:
OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre. Go with the maxspect jump gyre 2k. The wave motion is way better than a single ai nero 3. If you were goi by to do 2 Nero 3s then that would be better but a single Nero vs a gyre 2k nah
100% sold on the gyre 2k... it has wifi now looks really nice!

Ebbott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeesh! I just want a little wave! 200 bucks!?

I need to find something cheaper (I spend enough on this hobby as is!)

TheWalkingCoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Sea CP1 for $20 at Petco =D That's if you are looking for something budget friendly. I have two and they have worked out great so far. One HOB filter and one fluval sea cp1 has worked out great on my 20L. Through the other one in my 40B + surface scimmer + hob filter has worked for me,

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any experience with the Jebao SLW-10? I like that it is more compact.
yes I just got one for my Nuvo 10g, and its very powerful, I have it turned down really low too. I like that it has a feed mode and night mode too. Although you have to manually start the night mode. For my Nuvo 30L I do have 2 Nero 3's but I think the Jebao would work just as well-just a little easier with the AI app to program.

Ebbott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval Sea CP1 for $20 at Petco =D That's if you are looking for something budget friendly. I have two and they have worked out great so far. One HOB filter and one fluval sea cp1 has worked out great on my 20L. Through the other one in my 40B + surface scimmer + hob filter has worked for me,
I do have the Fluval nano light, and truly enjoy it, so i will have to check this out!

jarviz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone had any experience with the Jebao SLW-10? I like that it is more compact.
i gave it a try for my 10gal, it was absolute overkill for my LPS's. it says that minimum flow is 165gph but i duno how accurate this is. i feel like it's a lot a higher. or maybe it does go down to 165gph but then will shoot back up to a much higher flow. i ended up getting the Hygger Mini wavemake for about 70 bucks. i'm much more happier with that. i love the compact size and quality of the build.

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the smallest gph hydor pump and it’s still a bit much on my 13.5 I think I’ll go with the nero3

flyguy13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got 2 Jebao sow- 5 on my 20L, have to keep on lowest setting and can run one as a slave for back and forth motion. Like the price on em too.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeesh! I just want a little wave! 200 bucks!?

I need to find something cheaper (I spend enough on this hobby as is!)
This is one of those hobbys where more times than not you get what you pay for. That might seem a little steep up front, but in the long run could easily be the best 200 bucks you have spent! Even if it aint...how much money do you have/or plan to have invested in your fish and corals? Once you have that number then ask yourself....is 200 bucks too much to spend on my tank considering the value of what is in my tank?

I just started a 20 gallon nano recently and already I have well over a grand in coral. Spending 300 bucks on a better light system than I originally had was quit a hit on my credit card although I am sure BRS appreciated it! But with over a grand in coral and another expected grand to be spent on coral, it was a small price to pay to get what was needed and suitable for my tank and its inhabitants. So ask yourself..."How much is my tank worth"?

Ebbott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those hobbys where more times than not you get what you pay for. That might seem a little steep up front, but in the long run could easily be the best 200 bucks you have spent! Even if it aint...how much money do you have/or plan to have invested in your fish and corals? Once you have that number then ask yourself....is 200 bucks too much to spend on my tank considering the value of what is in my tank?

I just started a 20 gallon nano recently and already I have well over a grand in coral. Spending 300 bucks on a better light system than I originally had was quit a hit on my credit card although I am sure BRS appreciated it! But with over a grand in coral and another expected grand to be spent on coral, it was a small price to pay to get what was needed and suitable for my tank and its inhabitants. So ask yourself..."How much is my tank worth"?
I do have that attitude towards other things (though I don't know how you put a $1000 of coral in your tank). I went with a high-end light and tank, but considering I don't even have a wave maker in my tank currently, its not a necessity. The chances of me burning through $200 worth of power heads is pretty slim. And if it does burn out, its not like it kills my tank while I run to the store for a new one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back