PowerHeads and Wave makers for Nanos

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have that attitude towards other things (though I don't know how you put a $1000 of coral in your tank). I went with a high-end light and tank, but considering I don't even have a wave maker in my tank currently, its not a necessity. The chances of me burning through $200 worth of power heads is pretty slim. And if it does burn out, its not like it kills my tank while I run to the store for a new one.
Its easy....start buying high end frags and collector grade type stuff. Just check out the going price on a nice Scoley or Bounce Mushroom or Walt Diseny Frag or Haymaker. Make sure your sitting down so you dont bump your head when you faint. Its not that hard to do.

Steve Erekson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a bit contrarian here but I feel controllable powerheads are overrated for what they are and I still use AC powerheads for my LPS/softy nano. I know the benefits of "random flow" get thrown around a lot, but all flow in our tanks is turbulent and random even with cheap powerheads. It will generally trend in one direction but there's a ton of eddies and such that happen.

heybae

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those hobbys where more times than not you get what you pay for. That might seem a little steep up front, but in the long run could easily be the best 200 bucks you have spent! Even if it aint...how much money do you have/or plan to have invested in your fish and corals? Once you have that number then ask yourself....is 200 bucks too much to spend on my tank considering the value of what is in my tank?

I just started a 20 gallon nano recently and already I have well over a grand in coral. Spending 300 bucks on a better light system than I originally had was quit a hit on my credit card although I am sure BRS appreciated it! But with over a grand in coral and another expected grand to be spent on coral, it was a small price to pay to get what was needed and suitable for my tank and its inhabitants. So ask yourself..."How much is my tank worth"?
Totally agree going thru the same thing with upgrading should have just spent the money one time instead of buying somthing cheap then buying something expensive you will want the best to protect the money you have dumped into you system.

Imaexpat2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hence the reason I posted that...I think we have all seen that movie a few times in this hobby!

Ebbott

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its easy....start buying high end frags and collector grade type stuff. Just check out the going price on a nice Scoley or Bounce Mushroom or Walt Diseny Frag or Haymaker. Make sure your sitting down so you dont bump your head when you faint. Its not that hard to do.
my wallet is screaming!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 63 36.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back