powerheads/gyre pumps for sps 40 gallon breeder

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
need advice for what to put in my bare bottom sps 40 gallon breeder. was looking into all the powerheads and i basically need something quiet. ecotech is out of the question because they cost an arm and a leg and i think they are on the loud side. looked into some turbelle nanostreams but they are kinda pricey. im leaning on the jebao, maybe one powerhead and a gyre. willing to get more powerful pumps and run them on a lower setting so they can be as quiet as possible.

any opinions on what i should get and placement of a gyre in combination with powerhead?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a 40G, just one or the other would be sufficient. FYI - Gyre's move a lot of water and maybe overkill for a 40G.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a 40G, just one or the other would be sufficient. FYI - Gyre's move a lot of water and maybe overkill for a 40G.
but if i run it on low it would make less noise is my assumption. wondering if a cp-90 is enough on low or if i should go cp-120. or maybe just get 2 powerheads

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but if i run it on low it would make less noise is my assumption. wondering if a cp-90 is enough on low or if i should go cp-120. or maybe just get 2 powerheads
gyres are very quiet, compared to MP's I was using I don't hear it at all. cp-90 should be plenty for 40G, besides it takes up slightly smaller footprint than the cp-120.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back