Powerheads in a MAX-S 650 tank with LPS

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea MAX-S 650 tank that has 4 circulation pumps built into the back wall from the factory along with the return nozzle.
At the moment they are just jets and shooting water around the tank quite fast and I think its ticking off my LPS corals because its too much motion.
I have a Tunze power head on the side of the tank but its an AC and single speed. My question is should I try and fix some random flow nozzles and try it out or just get rid of the stock pumps and go all power heads. In that case what power heads work well? I saw a lot of people like the MP40's but good lord they are expensive for a little pump.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a Red Sea MAX-S 650 tank that has 4 circulation pumps built into the back wall from the factory along with the return nozzle.
At the moment they are just jets and shooting water around the tank quite fast and I think its ticking off my LPS corals because its too much motion.
I have a Tunze power head on the side of the tank but its an AC and single speed. My question is should I try and fix some random flow nozzles and try it out or just get rid of the stock pumps and go all power heads. In that case what power heads work well? I saw a lot of people like the MP40's but good lord they are expensive for a little pump.
Random flow nozzles won’t really slow it down but placing a mini shut off will reduce intensity of water flow

FC516A57-B5A8-4294-815D-AF7ABF6A8E3D.jpeg

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. So far i have only placed a random flow on the return and its noticeably spread it out and slowed it down.
Im going to outfit the other 4 nozzles and see where that gets me. Worst case ill take those offline and all some powerheads that can be adjusted.

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. So far i have only placed a random flow on the return and its noticeably spread it out and slowed it down.
Im going to outfit the other 4 nozzles and see where that gets me. Worst case ill take those offline and all some powerheads that can be adjusted.
If ya open up that back panel and get to the flow pumps each one of them has flow adjustments on them… just a little knob on the back of the pump you can slow stuff down

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If ya open up that back panel and get to the flow pumps each one of them has flow adjustments on them… just a little knob on the back of the pump you can slow stuff down
Ohhhh I have the complete opposite problem. Can't get enough flow. Can't figure out how to place the nozzles to cover the tank. I'm going look for those adjustments tomorrow.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I adjusted mine all the way as closed as I can and its still a bit of flow. LPS that I have like a little flow but nothing crazy. Even thought about just not using those pumps back there all together and just using my power heads on the sides of the tank.

Johny_Dough

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting 1or 2 MP40's then I could turn the back pumps on and off with Apex to give alternate flow patterns... But then I hesitate because the whole point of the AIO was that I didn't need to buy all that stuff separately....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back