Powerheads, larger or smaller

  • Thread starter Thread starter Malarkey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Malarkey

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 25, 2015
Messages
16
Reaction score
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok this is kind of an odd question, but I am getting ready to set up a 90 gal mixed reef and was wondering if I should buy a larger size powerhead and run it at a slower speed. Or should I buy the smaller version and run it at the higher speed. In your experience, which is going to last longer? Which will make them run quieter? My tank is going to be in the living room and I don't want it to be too loud. Not that I will be able to hear them, but my wife will hear them. I just don't want to hear any complaints about the noise. Not that we watch that much tv. We spend more time watching the fish than anything.
Thanks for you help. I know that I'm not the first person to evaluate them this way. So there have got to be some other deep thinkers out there that have already experimented with this.
 
All depends on how much money you want to spend hahaha. If your looking to save some money I would highly recommend 2 jebao wp25's or rw8's will be more then enough without that much footprint in the tank. If your looking to drop some cash you can't go wrong with a couple ecotech vortech mp10QD's. Nothing moves entire water column like a vortech! Or you have the option of the maxspect gyre they work real well but if the TV is off you might hear it.
 
I was considering the Jebao either rw8 or the rw15. I am also looking at the gyre 150. Do you think that will be too much flow? I know some say there can never be too much flow. I just don't want a sand storm or to damage the lips corals.
 
The Gyre XF-150 IMO would be perfect. Just research it and check out the reviews. I run the Gyre XF130 on my 40B. Love this power head. It replaced the MP10's and Jebao WP10's.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 17.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 11 47.8%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new