Powerheads Placement

yellow05gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just finished setting up my 480 gallon display tank and I’m wondering where I should put my Powerheads. Dimensions are 96”-48”-24”. It’s a mixed reef and I’m just starting to get some acros. I want to make sure there is plenty of flow for them. I have two MP60s and two MP40s. I have the MP40s low in the back wall and the MP60s high in the sides in the middle. Should I put all the power heads on the back wall and keep them in the heights they are, or do you think my current placement is okay. I’ll attach a picture of the tank so you can see the aquascape set up.

this is a bare bottom tank as well.

8448379A-4BD9-4EB9-A743-8E0719CDAC22.jpeg

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards all along the back wall. Parker's Reef on YouTube has a similar setup with all his Vortechs along the back - although I think he also recently added two Tunzes along the top back (left/right) corners.

OP
OP
Y

yellow05gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about adding either one more 40 for the back wall as well. I don’t want to change too much, but I definitely want optimal set up for them. I like the clean look of them all on the back wall as well.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spreading the MP40s and 60s on the back wall would be the best choice. Vary the height depending on the area of the tank the flow is supporting. If you want to run water down the long axis of the tank as well a gyre or more of a water jet would be a better choice as I find the wide flow of MP40s/60s does not travel as effectively in long tanks.

OP
OP
Y

yellow05gt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Alex! That’s good info. I’m going to move the 60s to the back wall today and see how everything likes it for a while. And I may green a gyre or two and try them out. I’ve never done gyres before

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back