Prawn goby sucked through ai nero 3

RudeDawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I was moving some rocks around my tank and startled my prawn goby from the rock he likes to hide in. He darted toward my nero 3 and was sucked right through. What are the chances he suffered internal damage that will eventually lead to death? I couldn't see any missing fins or damage on his body, but he did lazily swim into a rock and has been lying there since the incident. It's been about 3 hours and he hasn't moved further into a cave.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I was moving some rocks around my tank and startled my prawn goby from the rock he likes to hide in. He darted toward my nero 3 and was sucked right through. What are the chances he suffered internal damage that will eventually lead to death? I couldn't see any missing fins or damage on his body, but he did lazily swim into a rock and has been lying there since the incident. It's been about 3 hours and he hasn't moved further into a cave.
You can place Panty hose or similar objects over powerheads to prevent that.

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible but the best & only thing you can do for him is to leave him alone.

I once had a tilefish whose head was sucked in by an impeller but was stuck in the cover. I found him in time & stop the motor before pulling his head out. His neck was a little crooked & he was clearly in shock after that but he recovered after a day or two of rest.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume this is without the guards fitted?

I thought they were now included with all Neros, unless yours are really old.

As for the fish, who really knows. Time will tell.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
It may survive but the chances are low.

The best thing now as said above is leaving him alone and allowing time to do it’s thing.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is why I am not a big fan of those puck style wavemakets if a tank has small fish or inverts. They are like mini death traps, waaaaayyyy too open in the back.

OP
OP
RudeDawg

RudeDawg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update Ladies and Gentlemen.
I'm happy to report that last night I saw my prawn goby swimming around his cave . He survived! No visible damage, and it looked like he was picking off copepods, so he's eating.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back