Prazio Pro is NOT reef safe??!!

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
Have a tang I was a little worried about flukes, couldnt catch him in my 220 reef. Decided to treat the display tank with prazipro. Dosed according to the instructions, turned off skimmer and gfo/carbon. Ran it for 6 days. On the 6th day- 3 PERFECTLY HEALTHY FISH I've had for over a year were dead and so was my tri color acropora and my birds nest. I did have an initial nitrate spike from 0 to 3 in a 220. Has anyone else experienced this???!!! I'm so upset. *the tang in question looks fine now but I will not be repeating the treatment.
What could have happened!!? The prazipro is not expired.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up? If you had a lot of worms in your sandbed they will die off with prazi and can cause ammonia. I have always done a large water change the day after treatment and have not had any issues.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazipro can also affect oxygen levels. I don’t care what the instructions say, or what others experiences have been, I never add meds to my display ..... ever. Best to let a fish recover on its own frankly.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 3 or 4 years old. I have no ammonia. I did a 25% water change at the end of treatment, 2 more fish are dead or dying after water change, carbon, and protien skimming restarted. I'm so upset. I'll def never use that again.

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never assume any medicine is reef safe. Even ones that are somewhat safe like feed through food still pose some risk. Never treat for anything in a reef tank unless you understand you might loose some things.

OP
OP
L

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there are 5 powerheads in the tank, hydors and jebao r20 at graduated heights that cerate a gyer effect with some chaotic flow, as well as surface agitation from the return flow. I would have expected that if there was an oxygen issue, I would have seen gasping or fish lingering near the surface etc. this was straight fine one day, dead the next. Additonally, I did search this site and other community sites for input on using it in the display, and most people said it was safe and had success with no losses using it in their own, which is why I decided to try. I just cant believe I lost 4 perfectly healthy fish. I checked all my levels and other than a rise from 0 to 3 in nitrates, everything is fine. (ph- 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrate 3, phos, .05, calcium 410, kh/alk 8.6/3.08, magnesium 1215). maybe it was an oxygen issue, idk. I wont be using it again. thank you for the support.

Thor2j

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime I treat anything that says skimmer off I simply take top off and let it aerate.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank is 3 or 4 years old. I have no ammonia. I did a 25% water change at the end of treatment, 2 more fish are dead or dying after water change, carbon, and protien skimming restarted. I'm so upset. I'll def never use that again.

Is it possible you overdosed it (i.e. didnt take into account the rock, etc in your tanks water volume?

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back