Prazipro OD and wrasse experience

stklaw

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello parasite fighters. I recently [accidentally, tho flippant] overdosed Prazipro in my 110g FOWLR, and just wanted the community to know that experience and how it turned out. I have NOT had any disease or noticeable outbreak of any kind in the 21 months I have had this aquarium supporting life. However my 2 of 3 wrasses were showing an occasional fluke sign and a stringy deuce from my blenny and Adorned wrasse once in awhile. So I did a water change and Prazipro-ed. However when I punched in the metric conversion rate I clicked oz. instead of tsp. on the stupid dropdown list. So obviously that's a 6x overdose. I always only put half in if first, and then wait a couple hours to put the other half in...but i noticed my Splendid Pintail Fairy wrasse flashing his dorsal fin and swimming around a lot. Then coughing out a couple flukes so I got suspicious and re-Googled my dosage. Yep, it was 3x overdosed right now. So I did a quick 1/3 water change with the premixed reserves I had left and ran Purigen and carbon. I estimate I got it down to a little over 2x overdosed within a few hours. So the wrasses... all fine. I'm sure they cleared any flukes they had! I saw a few some around but really not bad. All other fish were fine, though I would describe as "slightly startled". They didnt seem in distress, just hovered around more/swam less. Wrasses, hunkered in a corner or low rock most of the night and next morning, but started feeling much better by the second evening and were acting "hungry" later that second night. Everyone is normal 48 hours after the 2-3x overdose. I'm sure carbon now has most out.
Anyway, I'll do a wc day 6, skim some, and do the "normal" Prazipro second round day 7. Hope any nuggets you take from this may help someday.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m so gun shy now, I triple check my med calculations.
People say wrasse are sensitive to prazi, but I’ve not seen it myself. What I do see is people having issues with the solvent in Prazipro - it feeds bacteria that in turn pulls oxygen from the water. You always want to aerate well. The other issue I see is the prazi works too well- in fish with heavy fluke infestations, it knocks them all off, leaving too many holes in the fish’s skin and they bleed out.
Good to hear that you didn’t run into either of those issues!
Jay

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back