Prazipro treatment

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok i just dosed my first round of prazipro. I will leave it in the water for 5-6 days. then wait 24-48 hrs. and re-dose for another 5-6 days.

Question is does the prazipro wear off in the water on its own or do i have to do a water change in between the doses?

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading Humblefish's Quarantining threads...he writes

"I begin Prazipro treatment - dose once, wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. Five days later I do another 20-25% water change and run activated carbon for 24 hours..."

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

I have followed roughly this protocol- Dose once after 1 week in QT if fish behavior and eating is ok, wait 3 days then 20% water change then repeat dosage and water change...I have not done activated carbon as I do not treat Copper prophylactically...(you don't want to mix med's)...

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From reading Humblefish's Quarantining threads...he writes

"I begin Prazipro treatment - dose once, wait 5-7 days, do a 20-25% water change and then repeat dosage. Five days later I do another 20-25% water change and run activated carbon for 24 hours..."

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-quarantine.189815/

I have followed roughly this protocol- Dose once after 1 week in QT if fish behavior and eating is ok, wait 3 days then 20% water change then repeat dosage and water change...I have not done activated carbon as I do not treat Copper prophylactically...(you don't want to mix med's)...

Ok great. I was just wondering because i heard prazipro only stays active in the water for 3 days so figured if the prazipro wasn't even in the water anymore why the water change?

alyee5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have heard the same especially since Prazipro is considered reef safe...to be on the safe side I just timed it the dosage and water change around my normal QT water change schedule.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. I was just wondering because i heard prazipro only stays active in the water for 3 days so figured if the prazipro wasn't even in the water anymore why the water change?

Prazi is active for 48 hours and does it's work within the first 24 hours. The water change is because there are potentially a lot of dead flukes in the water that can cause water quality to go down. There are also other ingredients in the med besides just prazi that make it a liquid. These can build up in the water and the water changes will reduce some of those as well.

OP
OP
fernalfer

fernalfer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prazi is active for 48 hours and does it's work within the first 24 hours. The water change is because there are potentially a lot of dead flukes in the water that can cause water quality to go down. There are also other ingredients in the med besides just prazi that make it a liquid. These can build up in the water and the water changes will reduce some of those as well.

awesome thanks i will do a water change inbetween then. Thanks for everyone's input.

Haubfather07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I leave my skimmer and carbon off after the first and second doses? I would assume carbon off until after the second dose (maybe 24 hours after?) but what about skimming?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long should I leave my skimmer and carbon off after the first and second doses? I would assume carbon off until after the second dose (maybe 24 hours after?) but what about skimming?

24 hours for both; although your skimmer will go nuts for awhile after dosing Prazipro.

Alitoo.81

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Humblefish so for a reef aquarium with your product we will add a concentration of 2.5mg/l ? or am I mistaken?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Humblefish so for a reef aquarium with your product we will add a concentration of 2.5mg/l ? or am I mistaken?

Yes, Prazipro contains a praziquantel concentration of 2.5mg/L. Most people who have dosed that into a reef tank report minimal issues.

William Lewis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I lower the salinity to 1.25
To 1.18.Would this help or just leave a lone
Plus a vacuum after the first dose with the water change, then redose.
I have a 1.5 inch crushed coral and live sand,fish only is a 72 bow front.
Will the flukes be able to hide and not die in the substrate?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back