praziquantel banned in Europe, cyromazine as an alternative?

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel was banned in Europe, so I've written to Aquarium Münster, and they suggested I use cyromazine instead.

How similar are the two medications, when used as a prophylactic treatment in a QT?
Does cyromazine have as wide a spectrum as praziquantel in terms of the diseases that it treats?

I'm particularly interested in what @Humblefish thinks :)

Some more information about Aquarium Münster's cyromazine medication:
Dactymor Forte is a highly effective treatment against skin worms (Gyrodactylus), trematodes (Dactylogyrus) and tapeworms (Cestodes).
After a 6 hours treatment, a replacement of minimum 3/4 of the aquarium water is required. On the following day change half of the aquarium water. A single treatment is generally adequate for skin worms and tapeworms. However, trematode eggs are not affected. Therefore, when treating trematodes, the treatment should be repeated twice, waiting approx. One week between each treatment
Thanks a lot!

Kennya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluke Solve is available in the UK and contains Praziquantel.

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel was banned in Europe, so I've written to Aquarium Münster, and they suggested I use cyromazine instead.

How similar are the two medications, when used as a prophylactic treatment in a QT?
Does cyromazine have as wide a spectrum as praziquantel in terms of the diseases that it treats?

I'm particularly interested in what @Humblefish thinks :)

Some more information about Aquarium Münster's cyromazine medication:

Thanks a lot!
Hi @Muffin87, are you sure that it is banned? Last year, I used Esha Gdex which is commonly available in Norway. https://www.eshalabs.eu/europe/products/esha-gdexsupregsup.html
It has about the same amount of active ingredient as the US-popular Prazipro.

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Muffin87, also had some troubles of finding it. I live in the Netherlands and it is banned here as well. However I have ordered API general cure from the U.S. twice and both times it was delivered no problem. Not saying you should do something illegal, but also not saying you can't try it .

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Muffin87, are you sure that it is banned? Last year, I used Esha Gdex which is commonly available in Norway. https://www.eshalabs.eu/europe/products/esha-gdexsupregsup.html
It has about the same amount of active ingredient as the US-popular Prazipro.
It's certainly not available over the counter in Italy, and Germany.
But let me rephrase that: It should not be available in Italy. Esha Gdex is available on amazon Italy probably imported from another country that has amazon and legal praziquantel. We are talking about this one, right?

This is from the Aquarium Münster website, dated 15 August 2020:
"After the active ingredient Praziquantel was made prescription-only in Europe, the well-known treatment DACTYMOR had to be withdrawn from the market, like all products with this active ingredient.
After intensive development work, Aquarium Münster is now introducing the new DACTYMOR FORTE with the active ingredient Cyromazine.
DACTYMOR FORTE is active against skin worms (Gyrodactylus), trematodes (Dactylogyrus), and tapeworms (Cestoidean)."

OP
OP
Muffin87

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Muffin87, also had some troubles of finding it. I live in the Netherlands and it is banned here as well. However I have ordered API general cure from the U.S. twice and both times it was delivered no problem. Not saying you should do something illegal, but also not saying you can't try it .
Hi @Tim'sReef! Where did you order from and which courier delivered it?
Is Api General Cure the same as Prazi Pro?

Did you manage to get chelated copper based medications from the US as well?

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you manage to get chelated copper based medications from the US as I d
Man, Europe can be frustrating in this respect. I got Esha Gdex from my LFS, at least last year March-ish, not sure if they still have it. But I also once ordered prazipro from ebay from the US. Also, coppersafe I ordered via ebay. I recommend this chelated form of copper for quarantine; even wrasses tolerate this at high concentrations. Humblefish’s website and @Jay Hemdal are the ultimate resources.

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you manage to get chelated copper based medications from the US as well?
I'm not sure what website I ordered it from, some eBay seller. It was delivered by the local postal service. General cure is prazi and metro. I got that so I had both.

No use of copper based medications so can't give you any info on those.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back