Precipitation Question

https://www.triton.de/en/

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Do alkalinity and calcium precipitate out in the same ratio that they get used up for in everything else? Reason I am asking is because I have been dosing 2 part in equal amounts, but my calcium is increasing while my alkalinity is remaining stable and I just noticed a sheet of precipitate on the glass in the chamber where I dose.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED lighting

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Do alkalinity and calcium precipitate out in the same ratio that they get used up for in everything else? Reason I am asking is because I have been dosing 2 part in equal amounts, but my calcium is increasing while my alkalinity is remaining stable and I just noticed a sheet of precipitate on the glass in the chamber where I dose.

Yes.

What product are you using? Not all are designed properly for 1:1 dosing.

Also, other mechanism can deplete alkalinity, such as increasing nitrate and sulfur denitrators.

OP
M

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks Randy. I'm using ESV 2 part. Nitrate has been pretty stable and I don't have a sulfur denitrator.

I'm going to double check the calcium with a different test. I've been testing alkalinity daily and dosing equal parts based solely on that test. I haven't tested for calcium in a few weeks, but I just installed a trident which gave me the high calcium reading.

OP
M

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
A month ago it was 459 when alk was 7.3 and the day before yesterday it was 580 when alk was 7.5

Corals.com
https://www.triton.de/en/

Would you be interested in seeing the Reef of the Month come back?

• YES

Votes: 470 94.9%
  • NO

Votes: 21 4.2%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 4 0.8%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Kessil