Precipitation Question

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do alkalinity and calcium precipitate out in the same ratio that they get used up for in everything else? Reason I am asking is because I have been dosing 2 part in equal amounts, but my calcium is increasing while my alkalinity is remaining stable and I just noticed a sheet of precipitate on the glass in the chamber where I dose.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do alkalinity and calcium precipitate out in the same ratio that they get used up for in everything else? Reason I am asking is because I have been dosing 2 part in equal amounts, but my calcium is increasing while my alkalinity is remaining stable and I just noticed a sheet of precipitate on the glass in the chamber where I dose.

Yes.

What product are you using? Not all are designed properly for 1:1 dosing.

Also, other mechanism can deplete alkalinity, such as increasing nitrate and sulfur denitrators.

OP
OP
M

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. I'm using ESV 2 part. Nitrate has been pretty stable and I don't have a sulfur denitrator.

I'm going to double check the calcium with a different test. I've been testing alkalinity daily and dosing equal parts based solely on that test. I haven't tested for calcium in a few weeks, but I just installed a trident which gave me the high calcium reading.

OP
OP
M

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month ago it was 459 when alk was 7.3 and the day before yesterday it was 580 when alk was 7.5

Back