Predator and reef ok to plumb to same sump?

Trimblelake

New Member
View Badges
Joined
May 6, 2014
Messages
8
Reaction score
4
Location
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would there be any obvious issues with a predator tank and reef being plumbed to the same sump? I just purchased a dual 90 gal stacked system.
 
Picture of setup and future design

IMG_0137[1].PNG


tank design.gif
 
The only issues that I possibly foresee, is that NO3 can get a bt higher in a predator tank than some reef tanks can deal easily with. But there are simple enough solutions to that, such as carbon dosing r using an oversized skimmer.
 
You know the fish that drove my nitrates through the roof? Anthias, my OSFF and seahorses. Preds aren't the automatic bioload people think. They are heavier per inch than a herbivore fish, but there are tonnes of regular fish that are bioload rivals. The tanks where I had problems were tanks that I had to pour food into it and the fish caught some and some blew behinds the rock etc etc. If you pour food in your tank to feed 'whoever", than you will have a messier situation and that is common of a lot of reef fish. I stick feed my preds so there is zero mess. 100% goes in their stomach. I put a trio of blotched anthias in a pred reef and you could see the tank was starting to have some cyano issues and what not. I started stick feeding the anthias and the cyano went away without me stepping up the maintenance.
 
Last edited:

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 3 18.8%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 6 37.5%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 18.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new