IMAG3651.jpg
Those seem too small to be vermetids?

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only my big male emerald crab eats vermetids; the female eats bubble algae, not sure if that’s just my crabs so take it fwiw lol.
I’m really curious about this. I crushed and removed all I could find about a year ago.

Now they are coming back.

When you say your emerald crab eats them, what have you seen?

Meaning to they grab it when extended out of the tube, or do they break off the tubes?

Just curious

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really curious about this. I crushed and removed all I could find about a year ago.

Now they are coming back.

When you say your emerald crab eats them, what have you seen?

Meaning to they grab it when extended out of the tube, or do they break off the tubes?

Just curious
I mean’t sporibid worms :( my bad. He just picks them off the rock like he’s eating popcorn, super fast, 10 or so eaten a minute.

mfollen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angelfish eat vermetids all day. I haven’t seen my dwarf angel eat them. But my regal, pomocanthus & chaetodontopolus angels eat them all day and night.

sixline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My understanding of vermetids (which i am currently battling) is that the juveniles actually move around like a regular snail, and then they find a place to park themselves, fasten themselves down, and start growing the long tube.

I can't imagine anything being able to eat them once they have the larger tube built, except maybe a triggerfish or a parrots, but eating their way through the tube. I can imagine a wrasse of some sort waiting around and trying to eat it every time it extended from the tube, and eventually harassing it to death. But I'm a bit skeptical of any wrasse or crab being able to catch one before it retreats back into the tube.

So when people talk about wrasses, bumblebee snails and emerald crabs eating them, they are referring to the non-stationary juveniles, right?

BTW, I have lots of emerald crabs and several bumblebee snails and still have vermetid snails. They were pretty bad a while back, but I went at them with needle node pliers and got the population under control. I don't mind a few of them but want to keep them in check.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had zero luck with fish predators. My humu trigger did not eat them unless I crushed the shell first. I had hoped he would learn to chew on the shells but that doesn't seem to have worked. My blueface does not seem to eat them at all. Bumblebees seem to work for the smaller species or vermetid but definitely not the large ones.

Ernie C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried bumblebee snails and emerald crabs but still no luck. I have the large ones so when they start to irritate something with their web i plug their tube, but there are some hard to reach ones. I found this article online about a potential predator but not sure if you can even find these predators or if they are reef safe. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00338-014-1141-6

DCMW1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetids can be so frustrating. Bumblebee snails worked for me. I never had any luck with using fish or crabs. You have to give it time though. The bumblebees won’t work over night. It took months before I started seeing some small improvement and maybe close to a year before I realized one day didn’t see the vermetids anymore. So buy a bunch of bumblebees and throw them in the tank and just give it time.

Drewbacca

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermetids can be so frustrating. Bumblebee snails worked for me. I never had any luck with using fish or crabs. You have to give it time though. The bumblebees won’t work over night. It took months before I started seeing some small improvement and maybe close to a year before I realized one day didn’t see the vermetids anymore. So buy a bunch of bumblebees and throw them in the tank and just give it time.

Thanks.
I bought 6 bumbles a few weeks ago. Placed them on the main rocks. Bit have only seen them on the small sand/frag rocks. I'll get more. Do you knowl if emerald crabs are prone to eat them? I have one emerald but would like to try more.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back