Predator Tank - Fish Ideas??

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I say dogface puffer I mean the Arothron nigropunctatus which I believe top out at about 13"(in the wild). I would say for the most part liveaquaria is the authority on suggested tank size. They use to say 125g now I believe they recommend 150g.

My vote would definitely be for a sargassum trigger.

All the fish you are looking at are pretty hardy, I would say none are what you would call ick prone. Lionfish do not handle copper, even if they make it through they will likely die within a year probably due to organ failure. Eels are as resistant to things like ick and velvet as one can be, i would have no concern there. Internal parasites are rampant, so just make a plan to address that issue.

To consider about your eel decision, you really can't go wrong with a snowflake or zebra, the ribbon eel is high maintenance. Even as long as I've had mine, still a challenge to feed, and everyone I know is amazed I even have him alive after 1.5 years.

Line up sounds great. None of the fish are so overly aggressive that I would be concerned about the order of addition. I would just make sure you have the betta, lionfish, and eel well accustomed to their feeding ritual before adding them into the dt.

Dogface Puffers are also very thick, or chunky. So it's not just length, but width and height.

I think her size tank would be ok for a Dogface just because they don't swim much. They just slowly float around the tank, lol. But a fish that size, if kept long term, would definitely limit the amount of other fish. They do have great personalities to.

That's why I suggested the smaller puffers, though multiples of even different breeds will fight for a few days, unlike the bigger ones. I had 3 smaller puffers living in a 90 and every time I added one, one of the others would attack no matter how long the introduction period was. It only lasted 2-3 days, but something to watch out for.

Just my .02¢ though :)

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! You're one of the few people I've seen that have so many fish at full grown sizes, except the Tusk and one Trigger (that I can see). Maybe the Foxface isn't full grown yet either. But great job on keeping them all alive and healthy this long. They look great.

I always liked how the porcupine lools like he has a permanent smile, lol.
We got the puffer, Koran and Sohal as adults. They were all returned to LFS by different owners and we adopted them they were even smaller tanks than ours. They have grown in this tank. Have had them for over a year together. We quarantined them all separate in smaller tanks too. We already had the fox, triggers in three separate tanks too and then added the emperor, majestic and husk after everyone was getting along. It looks nice and is actually a peaceful tank now but I’m worried about long term. I thought they wouldn’t grow more, silly me! The Niger went from 2”-6” innone year!
Here’s the pecking order that I noticed.
Puffer, Koran, Sohal, Niger, red tail, emperor, the rest all about equal. The majestic and husk very timid. We will watch and see how it goes but if anyone looks stressed we will try to find a new larger home. I can’t upgrade size due to weight over basement floor. Thanks for your nice comments :)

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have many of the fish you mentioned in a 6’ 180g. And it’s too small! Trying to come up with a solution but may have to find new homes.
Here’s our fish list. This is an agressive fish only tank.
Harlequin tusk
Jewel eel
Foxface
Scopas tang
Sohal tang 8” or more- 10yrs old and mellow
Porcupine puffer (huge-10+” and 10yrs old)
****** trigger getting really big fast
Picasso trigger
Red tail trigger
Koran angel full grown and 10 yrs old
Emperor angel
Majestic angel

I need a bigger tank!

7FA3DA32-09B0-4260-B6E3-943CC74023FC.jpeg

8F65A868-D56A-4ABF-9633-904D3F83C4A1.jpeg

6BD2FEE0-5D49-442E-B791-2AAB4C9826B3.jpeg
Wow - they are beautiful!!!! Just upgrade your tank size... or you can bring them here and put them in my 300g!!!! :D lol

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We got the puffer, Koran and Sohal as adults. They were all returned to LFS by different owners and we adopted them they were even smaller tanks than ours. They have grown in this tank. Have had them for over a year together. We quarantined them all separate in smaller tanks too. We already had the fox, triggers in three separate tanks too and then added the emperor, majestic and husk after everyone was getting along. It looks nice and is actually a peaceful tank now but I’m worried about long term. I thought they wouldn’t grow more, silly me! The Niger went from 2”-6” innone year!
Here’s the pecking order that I noticed.
Puffer, Koran, Sohal, Niger, red tail, emperor, the rest all about equal. The majestic and husk very timid. We will watch and see how it goes but if anyone looks stressed we will try to find a new larger home. I can’t upgrade size due to weight over basement floor. Thanks for your nice comments :)
Just saw this msg now.... too bad you can't upgrade :( :(

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dogface Puffers are also very thick, or chunky. So it's not just length, but width and height.

I think her size tank would be ok for a Dogface just because they don't swim much. They just slowly float around the tank, lol. But a fish that size, if kept long term, would definitely limit the amount of other fish. They do have great personalities to.

That's why I suggested the smaller puffers, though multiples of even different breeds will fight for a few days, unlike the bigger ones. I had 3 smaller puffers living in a 90 and every time I added one, one of the others would attack no matter how long the introduction period was. It only lasted 2-3 days, but something to watch out for.

Just my .02¢ though :)
I'm okay with not being able to put much in this particular tank :) having a 300g, a 105g etc., I have my fill on "normal" fish already :) I actually do have one of the smaller puffers in another tank - he is awesome and was the reason I wanted to have a tank dedicated to fish that have different personalities and eating habits... I knew that I wouldn't be able to fit a lot in this one, unfortunately... and they had an amazing price on a drilled 250g, but the hubby had no desire to move another huge tank (we really struggled to get the 300g downstairs) and it wouldn't have fit the spot as nicely. So, I will work with what I have... here's a picture of Freddy supervising his new tank... I swear he loves watching the fish even more than me!!
e66d80ea191bb4a65b498f91c21a51e7.jpg

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw this msg now.... too bad you can't upgrade :( :(
Just asked my husband if we could buy another tank for other room!!! How close are you to Green Bay wi??? We r only 5 hours from Canada! Already have 300 reef that is full of fish. 93 reef and the 180fo.
Where will you put the sump on the new tank?
I lov the orange kitty! Mine supervises
too!

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess about a solid 15 - 16 hours lol.... I'm towards the East Coast :) I hope your hubby says yes :D Mine is always hesitant, but I think he's secretly very excited about this build. He keeps telling people about it, and when we have had people dropping off or picking up their kids (we have 3 teenaged boys lol) he's giving them the tour downstairs and talking about the new tank. He's already requested black sand and a very rigid looking landscape with lower lighting to make it look more "predator-like" lol....

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess about a solid 15 - 16 hours lol.... I'm towards the East Coast :) I hope your hubby says yes :D Mine is always hesitant, but I think he's secretly very excited about this build. He keeps telling people about it, and when we have had people dropping off or picking up their kids (we have 3 teenaged boys lol) he's giving them the tour downstairs and talking about the new tank. He's already requested black sand and a very rigid looking landscape with lower lighting to make it look more "predator-like" lol....
I like his idea! Black sand would be cool!!! My husband was online looking for bigger tanks and trying to figure out where to put one? Get rid of couch and support floors?! Maybe will see. Let us know what you choose. By the way we have a large lime green wrasse pretty and could go in predator tank.

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like his idea! Black sand would be cool!!! My husband was online looking for bigger tanks and trying to figure out where to put one? Get rid of couch and support floors?! Maybe will see. Let us know what you choose. By the way we have a large lime green wrasse pretty and could go in predator tank.
My husband likes the Hardwicke wrasse, but it doesn't seem to be common at all.... what type of wrasse do you have? Puc?

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic, I meant lol
We only have four wrasses in our reef 300gal. Flame fin, clown, red corris, and lime green. Also had a female clown and female flame fin but the lime green killed the clown wrasse and the red flame fin female jumped even with lid on. We had a beautiful Scott’s fairy that got swim bladder and died in quarantine. The lime geeen and corris wrasses are not reef safe in our experience but are beautiful. We have one small fairy wrasse in the 93 but I don’t know what kind it is, nothing special. And the harlequin tusk in the 180. If we could catch the lime green would move it to the 180. It eats zoas and snails and chases all the other wrasses. Here are some pictures.

31797336-AEDC-439F-9F1F-B2D1DF200797.jpeg

C8CD3628-66BD-4BE5-AB85-E032744839ED.jpeg

88B629E4-D3D3-4F5C-B489-72259EF7E12E.jpeg

538500E0-A420-476D-836B-17251828FB4B.jpeg

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked that one up, looks really pretty I’ve never seen one before. I would try one! I guess my lime green will get very large.
Omg, your cat is too cute!!

That fairy wrasse has really nice colors - very vibrant!!

I've always loved the red coris wrasse. It would be neat to see it changing into an adult.

I'll have to look into the lime green as well - he sounds like a character lol... I had a bad-to-the-bone fairy wrasse (if you can believe it) that was in a gang with Murderous Murdoch (the killer flame hawk) and together, they ate half my cleanup crew. Needless to say, they were moved to my "reject" tank (lol), aka my softie tank, with the other coral eaters and invert killers... :)

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oic, I looked him up... it's the banana wrasse. I didn't realize they went by that name too :)
Yah, it’s pretty! I need more snails too almost done to none! Lol you made me laugh!

I've always loved the red coris wrasse. It would be neat to see it changing into an adult.

I'll have to look into the lime green as well - he sounds like a character lol... I had a bad-to-the-bone fairy wrasse (if you can believe it) that was in a gang with Murderous Murdoch (the killer flame hawk) and together, they ate half my cleanup crew. Needless to say, they were moved to my "reject" tank (lol), aka my softie tank, with the other coral eaters and invert killers... :)
OMG, love your description of them. That’s why we have a softie tank! Lol
Annularis in the reef too I’m sure it’s in my fish gang too!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is Otie when he’s not swatting at my tangs! Or jumping on top of the 93 rimless! He’s been swimming a few times!

C00F563B-5112-4119-AB18-BB6FFB79C309.jpeg

313BDA2A-3F9A-4065-943F-D46512DA5ED6.jpeg

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Otie when he’s not swatting at my tangs! Or jumping on top of the 93 rimless! He’s been swimming a few times!

C00F563B-5112-4119-AB18-BB6FFB79C309.jpeg

313BDA2A-3F9A-4065-943F-D46512DA5ED6.jpeg

OMG he is just TOO cute :D We've been lucky with Freddy - he loves to watch the tanks but he's never tried to swat at them or ended up swimming. We were worried, since one of the QT's is at floor level (covered, of course) but so far, so good. Hopefully I didn't just jinx it! lol

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In working out a plan on where to place my existing fish, I'm at a loss as to what to do with my lemon peel angel. He can't go back in the reef (eats coral, including expensive meat corals and other LPS).

He's fine with softies, he is quick, and he is aggressive... but he about 4 inches. Would he become lionfish or eel food, or would he be big enough to be okay?? I can add him to my frag tank, but then it limits my ability to house LPS coral in it....

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In working out a plan on where to place my existing fish, I'm at a loss as to what to do with my lemon peel angel. He can't go back in the reef (eats coral, including expensive meat corals and other LPS).

He's fine with softies, he is quick, and he is aggressive... but he about 4 inches. Would he become lionfish or eel food, or would he be big enough to be okay?? I can add him to my frag tank, but then it limits my ability to house LPS coral in it....

Even my monster volitan couldn't eat a 4" lemonpeel. Any of the eels very doubtful, even a 4-5' zebra, being a peebletooth very unlikely. Many times when you hear such stories the scenario goes like this; a very large specimen right from the ocean added to a tank with smaller size fish. You'll likely want to get smaller to med size lionfish and eel, train them to eat in a captive environment, and I see no issue.

OP
OP
CanadianReefer

CanadianReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even my monster volitan couldn't eat a 4" lemonpeel. Any of the eels very doubtful, even a 4-5' zebra, being a peebletooth very unlikely. Many times when you hear such stories the scenario goes like this; a very large specimen right from the ocean added to a tank with smaller size fish. You'll likely want to get smaller to med size lionfish and eel, train them to eat in a captive environment, and I see no issue.
I'm relieved to hear that. It makes things much easier since it won't limit the usability of my frag tank :D I am planning on finding smaller specimens. I'm in no hurry, so I'll surely find ones that I can train as juveniles:)

Thanks again, you've been a lot of help!! :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back