Predatory Boring Snail…. The Boring Killer.

  • Thread starter Thread starter reefadam
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

reefadam

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 22, 2023
Messages
119
Reaction score
257
Location
Corona
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered this Killer snail (believe to be a whelk?) this morning, caught Shell Handed. Last night I noticed the suspect hitching a ride on the shell of a striped trochus snail. I thought better of it, but curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see how things played out and wait till morning, after all I didn’t feel I’d noticed an abnormally large amount of dead snails and hadn’t added added anything new in almost 2 months, (albeit, it is a new tank of almost 5 months.

Well anyways, this morning I came down and found the striped trochus in the sand with the suspect still on its’ shell. I should’ve gotten pics, but my first instinct was to remove it as soon as possible. After removal I noticed a tiny (less than 1/16th of an inch) bore hole on the shell where the killer snail was.

Then I looked at a few of the empty shells I’d pulled out of the tank, and found a matching bore hole in another striped trochus shell.

I Should’ve known better, but I also wanted to know “for sure” if it was a killer needing to be removed. Just adds more creedanfe to the old adage: “if you don’t know, it don’t go.” Now I just have it in a cup not sure what to do with it, I mean it is a cool animal in its own right, but can’t hang in the schoolyard if you can’t play nice.

There was still movement from the attacked snail so we’ll just hope for a recovery and keep an eye on it.

Mug shots are included.
IMG_2797.jpeg
IMG_2799.jpeg
IMG_2805.jpeg
IMG_2798.jpeg
IMG_2795.jpeg
IMG_2801.jpeg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 35.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 14.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 11 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new