Predatory Boring Snail…. The Boring Killer.

reefadam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered this Killer snail (believe to be a whelk?) this morning, caught Shell Handed. Last night I noticed the suspect hitching a ride on the shell of a striped trochus snail. I thought better of it, but curiosity got the better of me and I decided to see how things played out and wait till morning, after all I didn’t feel I’d noticed an abnormally large amount of dead snails and hadn’t added added anything new in almost 2 months, (albeit, it is a new tank of almost 5 months.

Well anyways, this morning I came down and found the striped trochus in the sand with the suspect still on its’ shell. I should’ve gotten pics, but my first instinct was to remove it as soon as possible. After removal I noticed a tiny (less than 1/16th of an inch) bore hole on the shell where the killer snail was.

Then I looked at a few of the empty shells I’d pulled out of the tank, and found a matching bore hole in another striped trochus shell.

I Should’ve known better, but I also wanted to know “for sure” if it was a killer needing to be removed. Just adds more creedanfe to the old adage: “if you don’t know, it don’t go.” Now I just have it in a cup not sure what to do with it, I mean it is a cool animal in its own right, but can’t hang in the schoolyard if you can’t play nice.

There was still movement from the attacked snail so we’ll just hope for a recovery and keep an eye on it.

Mug shots are included.
IMG_2797.jpeg
IMG_2799.jpeg
IMG_2805.jpeg
IMG_2798.jpeg
IMG_2795.jpeg
IMG_2801.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 167 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.6%
Back