Prefab LED puck lights? Anyone used them on tiny setups?

Adiantum

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 17, 2021
Messages
62
Reaction score
65
Location
Neverwhere
What state or country do you live in
Colorado
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to try out some prefab LED pucks on a pico jar. Think like those for under-cabinet lighting. Simple to use, and I could probably figure out how to waterproof the lid/lights. I have a hankering to set up another pico with a 1 gal decorative jar I have lying around with some type of low-light hardy coral (e.g. shrooms, Xenia, yellow Parazoanthus). In theory, I know I could DIY a puck of some sort but I'm not really savvy with wiring LEDs. My 1.5 gal cube has my quality light for growing LPS and SPS.

Does anyone think a couple small rgb pucks inside the jar lid would be enough light for something like this? (looking to do a cheap, simple experiment mainly with things I have lying around)
 
I like where your head is at but I don't think your question is answerable without specs on the puck led.

Do you have the ability to rent a par meter?
 
I like where your head is at but I don't think your question is answerable without specs on the puck led.

Do you have the ability to rent a par meter?
Fair point. I don’t know about renting one, but I think it’s possible to find one fairly inexpensive to buy.
 
There’s also phone apps. Don’t know how accurate those are though.
 
There’s also phone apps. Don’t know how accurate those are though.
You really want to check the par underwater. I'm not sure how your phone would work in water but keep us posted if you give that a shot. ;)

Some lfs will let you borrow their par meter and I believe brs rents them out
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new