Pregnant Peppermint Shrimp

Amber Vassallo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 peppermint shrimp and haven't had more than that in quite a while. i noticed 1 was pregnant about a week ago and she hides quite a bit but the other one was hiding even more and last night i was finally able to get a good look and that ones carrying babies also. i had a flashlight and could see them perfectly. how are they both pregnant? i'm quite confused.. this is actually my husband's hobby and his tank but i've become super into the tank. he doesn't know about this either. and i'm almost 100% sure it's eggs, i've googled several pictures of pregnant peppermint shrimp and whatever those things are under the belly that they flutter it looked like the eggs were on the outside at one point. one's a lot bigger than the other but seems they're both pregnant. how??

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
"

Mating Peppermint Shrimp

Peppermint shrimp (Lysmata wurdemanni) are protandric simultaneous hermaphrodite. It means that all individuals first mature as a male (male-phase) and then later change to a female (female-phase – FP) that spawns and broods embryos but can also mate as a male. "

Upvote 0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 34.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back