Pregnant Seahorse or GBD?

Bethany97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to preface this by saying I may be entirely paranoid that there's something wrong with my seahorse when there isn't, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I noticed yesterday evening that my male seahorse's pouch had grown large very suddenly, and that he seemed to be having just a little trouble staying upright. His tail would drift upward, but he didn't seem to have much trouble righting his body or hitching onto things. The buoyancy problem was rather subtle, he did not hang entirely upside down.

I didn't have any tools to evacuate his pouch, so I planned to go to the store first thing the next day. However, today he has been swimming completely upright. His pouch is still as big as it was yesterday but he is having no trouble swimming around the tank. The seahorse is in perfect health other than his large pouch. His breathing is normal, he's eating heartily, and his eyes are alert.

Could someone give me their opinion on this situation? Is he pregnant or is this GBD? (I *believe* I have a male and female.) And if he is not pregnant, do I need to evacuate his pouch even if he is no longer having problems with buoyancy?

I've attached the best pictures I could get of his pouch.
image_3.png
image_4.png

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you continue to try and get photos? If you see him in a good position try and snap a couple more. Just even general pictures of them both.

If his buoyancy is "off", then you are not imagining things and something is up. They do not have buoyancy issues due to pregnancy, but they can be both pregnant and have buoyancy issues. Their tail can also make them struggle.

Where did you get these erectus from? Online store? Home breeder? LFS?

He could be inflating/deflating his pouch. That first picture, he does not look pregnant. In that second picture, it could be pregnancy, water from courtship behaviour or GBD. I wouldn't do anything at this point, except gather supplies "just in case". I'd really like to see more shots of that tail.

OP
OP
Bethany97

Bethany97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just took a couple more photos for you. I got the Erectus pair from my LFS, and was told they're CB. They readily accept frozen mysis and I haven't seen any signs of parasites.

What are signs that his tail could be the buoyancy problem?

image_6.jpeg

(Pardon the green hair algae, I've currently been battling it.)
image_5.jpeg

image_4.jpeg

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can have generalized swelling of the tail or individual bubbles. Sometimes the first warning sign is them holding their tail oddly or hitching oddly. That first pic, I would call odd, but the the other two look normal.

They are courting in those bottom 2 pics. I don't see anything alarming. Are you sure the odd floating behavior wasn't a part of courting?

OP
OP
Bethany97

Bethany97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the odd floating was just courting behavior. I don't remember the two swimming about together, but perhaps I was just so focused on him I didn't think about it.

Thanks so much for your help! I'll be sure to update you if anything else arises, but I guess they both seem to be healthy for the time being.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with Lionfish Lair. Like was stated I would watch for odd hitching/buoyancy issues but if you don't see any evidence of that then relax and enjoy watching them court. Maybe check with your vet and see if they would be willing to write a script for diamox if case you ever need it for GBD. Some keepers believe GBD is brought on by too many organics in the water column so good skimming or very frequent water changes are very helpful.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps the odd floating was just courting behavior. I don't remember the two swimming about together, but perhaps I was just so focused on him I didn't think about it.

Thanks so much for your help! I'll be sure to update you if anything else arises, but I guess they both seem to be healthy for the time being.

They don't have to be swimming together. He could have been the only one doing the cha-cha-cha "Look at me, I'm darn sexy". I had a male that had a really awkward dance. Let's hope that's all it is.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back