Prep for Big Fish Addition. Bio Load Question.

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system has been running for a little over two months. WaterBox 220.6 (Around 190 gal total water). Current residents are 2 clowns, 3 chromis, one tang and a couple of shrimp. I have been feeding fairly well for that small group. Next week I will be getting four new pre-quarantined fish from Dr Reef which are all about 3” long and 2 more shrimp. Also another 3” fish will be coming out of QT. I have some BioSpira and MictoBacter 7 on hand.

Should I be concerned about the increased bio load? If so, how best to insure things run smooth when I introduce what will double my residents.

Jetson

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be concerned. Put extra amounts of live bacteria in your system. Keep feeding to a minimum until you are sure the system has caught up. Check water parameters frequently and be ready to do large water changes if required.

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you'll be fine, I've added similar amounts of fish to a lightly stocked tank before without issue. If you want to be sure, over feed your current fish a little, then feed lightly when you get the new fish for the first few days. Give the bacteria a chance to build up.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much would you add? Small daily dose for say a week to help the transition?
I add 2 capfuls as part of a weekly maintenance on my 130 gallon, I would start there, I wouldn't overdo it, if you have enough live rock it will pick up the slack especially in a tank that size.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great. Thanks. I’ve only had the lights on for about two weeks now and am just starting to see the ugly phase kick in. Getting the brown dusty look on the rocks where the light hits them. Hopefully the biology is moving along at a good pace.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 32 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back