Preparing beached coral for Malawi cichlids

Welcome aboard. Lake Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids like ph of 8 or above and kh of 240 and gh of 300 or higher. The coral skeletons will help but I'd use argonite for a substrate also. Your on the right path as far as cleaning the dead coral. Maybe bleach a few more time until the smell is gone and soak in some freshwater with Prime to neutralize the chlorine.
 
IMG_0708.jpeg
 
I love Cichlid tanks. Have you considered using rocks, sand, and plants that would resemble their natural freshwater habitat?
I did a little research on plants but the lake is actually quite bare from plants. I have tried to replicate as well as possible (up to now)
 
I have been keeping Malawi cichlids for about 50 years. Currently, I have a 125 with mbuna and a 70 with smaller haps. The mbuna are some of the hardiest fish to keep. They can handle all kinds of water conditions. As for plants,I keep large Anubias with my fish, all other plants get dug up.
 
I have been keeping Malawi cichlids for about 50 years. Currently, I have a 125 with mbuna and a 70 with smaller haps. The mbuna are some of the hardiest fish to keep. They can handle all kinds of water conditions. As for plants,I keep large Anubias with my fish, all other plants get dug up.
My first fish was definitely decent of mbuna, I had no access to the office he was kept in during the covid outbreak and wasn’t able to go back until over 6 months later. I **** you not, he was alive and healthy even though the water was 80 percent evaporated and all that was left of the plants were roots. I obviously called this guy Robert ‘the robo fish’ my initial search into this breed of fish fortunately led me to a local breeder that is just down the road from where I live. Now I have an all male take with a couple of others just for observation purposes. Sometimes I buy small and female could be present. Amazing fish. I love the breeding habits
 
Welcome aboard. Lake Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids like ph of 8 or above and kh of 240 and gh of 300 or higher. The coral skeletons will help but I'd use argonite for a substrate also. Your on the right path as far as cleaning the dead coral. Maybe bleach a few more time until the smell is gone and soak in some freshwater with Prime to neutralize the chlorine.
Welcome aboard. Lake Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids like ph of 8 or above and kh of 240 and gh of 300 or higher. The coral skeletons will help but I'd use argonite for a substrate also. Your on the right path as far as cleaning the dead coral. Maybe bleach a few more time until the smell is gone and soak in some freshwater with Prime to neutralize the chlorine.
I have taken out the ones that smell suspicious, there are a few green ones there I’d like to keep though. Should I keep processing bleach, rinse, sun then prime? Also is there any other product available? I bet prime is expensive here in China but the ingredients will be cheap as chips
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new