Preparing beached coral for Malawi cichlids

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome aboard. Lake Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids like ph of 8 or above and kh of 240 and gh of 300 or higher. The coral skeletons will help but I'd use argonite for a substrate also. Your on the right path as far as cleaning the dead coral. Maybe bleach a few more time until the smell is gone and soak in some freshwater with Prime to neutralize the chlorine.

paragrouper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0708.jpeg

OP
OP
BLB

BLB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love Cichlid tanks. Have you considered using rocks, sand, and plants that would resemble their natural freshwater habitat?
I did a little research on plants but the lake is actually quite bare from plants. I have tried to replicate as well as possible (up to now)

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping Malawi cichlids for about 50 years. Currently, I have a 125 with mbuna and a 70 with smaller haps. The mbuna are some of the hardiest fish to keep. They can handle all kinds of water conditions. As for plants,I keep large Anubias with my fish, all other plants get dug up.

OP
OP
BLB

BLB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been keeping Malawi cichlids for about 50 years. Currently, I have a 125 with mbuna and a 70 with smaller haps. The mbuna are some of the hardiest fish to keep. They can handle all kinds of water conditions. As for plants,I keep large Anubias with my fish, all other plants get dug up.
My first fish was definitely decent of mbuna, I had no access to the office he was kept in during the covid outbreak and wasn’t able to go back until over 6 months later. I **** you not, he was alive and healthy even though the water was 80 percent evaporated and all that was left of the plants were roots. I obviously called this guy Robert ‘the robo fish’ my initial search into this breed of fish fortunately led me to a local breeder that is just down the road from where I live. Now I have an all male take with a couple of others just for observation purposes. Sometimes I buy small and female could be present. Amazing fish. I love the breeding habits

OP
OP
BLB

BLB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome aboard. Lake Malawi and Tanganyika cichlids like ph of 8 or above and kh of 240 and gh of 300 or higher. The coral skeletons will help but I'd use argonite for a substrate also. Your on the right path as far as cleaning the dead coral. Maybe bleach a few more time until the smell is gone and soak in some freshwater with Prime to neutralize the chlorine.
I have taken out the ones that smell suspicious, there are a few green ones there I’d like to keep though. Should I keep processing bleach, rinse, sun then prime? Also is there any other product available? I bet prime is expensive here in China but the ingredients will be cheap as chips

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back