Preparing Quarantine

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am preparing my quarantine to get a small blue tang because I know they are SUPER prone to ick. What would be the best way to prepare it? Should I get some marine pure blocks and put them in my filter to colonize the blocks with bacteria or just set up the quarantine and put some bottled bacteria in the day before I get the fish and let that colonize on the sponge/marine blocks?

DakotaTheHutt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a hang on back I keep running on my main reef, if you have some used floss, carbon, etc you could throw some of that in a hob and let that run, should be good to go.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it both ways. When starting out my tank I used bottle bacteria, and monitored ammonia very closely. Now I just pull some bio media out of my sump and put it in there for a quick start.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it both ways. When starting out my tank I used bottle bacteria, and monitored ammonia very closely. Now I just pull some bio media out of my sump and put it in there for a quick start.
pull some bio media out about a day before you get the fish? & any diseases won’t be able to colonize the sponges/blocks?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw away whatever I use. I have blocks and I pull some out of my sump and then add new blocks into my sump. Whatever goes into my QT is thrown away afterwards, or if pvc pipe cleaned well before next fish comes.

OP
OP
jackalexander

jackalexander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I throw away whatever I use. I have blocks and I pull some out of my sump and then add new blocks into my sump. Whatever goes into my QT is thrown away afterwards, or if pvc pipe cleaned well before next fish comes.
okay thank you!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 150 88.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back