Pretty Purple Palace

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is a toe dipper.

Three winters ago I dislocated my knee while skiing at Copper Mountain. After the harrowing rescue by ski patrol, and the subsequent surgery I found myself with ample downtime. I watched every show on television. I saw every movie ever made. I went to questionable places on the internet. I learned how to spawn mushrooms in little mason jars, and how to grow them in a perforated shotgun chamber. I wanted to grow larger amounts of mushrooms, so I searched out videos explaining alternative cultivation methods that would increase my yield. The world of mycology is weird. Strange video links came up in my suggestions. Aliens. Hollow Earth. Third Eye. Tree feelings. Dolphins. Reef tanks. My perspective shifted. I wasn't so interested in increasing my yield any more. I wanted to start a reef tank.

After many false starts, I decided on a large custom aquarium. I sent a deposit to a fancy fabricator. I waited. I planned. I had my house surveyed. I met with engineers. I had a plumber stop by. The plan was becoming complicated. Structural intervention would be required. Floor drains would be needed. Walls would be built. Filtration would be isolated. An Industrial dehumidifier would be installed. Massive amounts of money would be spent.

This is not that build. This is the build we do in the mean time. This is the build we do to determine if we like this hobby. This is the modest in scale build. This is the modest in budget build. This is the Pretty Purple Palace Build. Grimace is the mascot for this thread.

IMG_3252.jpg

IMG_3252.jpg

OP
OP
mrpizzaface

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding equipment...
Over the past couple years of I have started and stopped on several builds. I have accumulated a large cache of equipment. I shouldn't have to purchase too much in the way of gear as I already have most of what I will need for this build.

Regarding gear selection...
This build will stress simplicity over complication, and the gear selection will reflect that sentiment.

Stand: Plywood. I selected Marine Grade Meranti plywood for my stand. The stand is pretty modern. The top of the cabinet captures the sides. The doors are inset and utilize Blum Euro Hinges. The stand will be painted with Matthews Paint. The color will be Plum Kuchen. The finish will be open grain, with the multi ply edges visible. Plumbing will be routed through the top of the stand. Fabricated for this build.

Tank: 29 Gallon Deep Blue. I live in an apartment in Queens, New York, and space is limited. I want a location where I can get the most enjoyment out of the tank. The living room makes the most sense. The tank will be placed next to my front door, on a wall opposite my sofa.
The location for the tank is approximately 36" wide and should house a 30" wide aquarium nicely. I selected a Deep Blue Aquarium, because I like the look of the black silicone. Purchased for this build.

Overflow: Modular Marine 800 GPH. Modular Marine Overflows are designed to work with rimmed aquariums. The design of the overflow should hide the water line behind the trim. Design allows for a full siphon with two emergency drains. Available in smallish form factors. I paid extra to swap the included uniseals with bulkheads. Purchased for this build.

Plumbing: Will be a combination of rigid, and flexible. High quality cepex ball and spears gate valves will be used. Previously purchased.

UV: AquaUV 8watt sterilizer will be used. Previously purchased.

Lid: Octo Aquatics Custom. Purchased for this build.

Filter Sump: 10 Gallon Aqueon DIY. The sump will be super basic. I will use a single 1/4" glass baffle to separate the skimmer section from the return section. I may or may not use a magnetic sock holder from Octo Aquatics. I decided to go with a 10 gallon DIY build, because I already own many 10 gallon tanks, and I like the size. Baffle and sock holder purchased for this build.

Skimmer: ASM Mini G. Super simple. Sicce pump. Good size. Great Price. Purchased for this build.

Reactor: Aquamaxx FR-S. Only plan on running carbon. Good size factor. Previously purchased.

Heaters: 2- Cobalt Neo Therm 75 watts heaters. Previously purchased.

Heater Controller: Inkbird. Previously purchased.

Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5. Quiet. Durable. Affordable. Previously purchased.

Lights: 2 Kessil A160 Tuna Blue, mounted using Kessil A arms. Simple mounting. Nice shimmer. Previously purchased.

Timer: TBD probably standard digital.

Power Strip: TBD Killawatt?

Sand: Carib Sea Special Grade. Previously Purchased. May opt to order Reeflakes instead.

Rock: Marco Rock. I have a bunch, not sure how much will be used. Previously purchased.

Future home for the tank and stand. This cabinet will be re located.
IMG_3262.jpg

Tank post drilling.
IMG_3256.jpg
Tank with overflow and A - Arms Mounted
IMG_3258.jpg

Cabinet/ Stand Carcass
IMG_3244.jpg

Stand with Doors and Kick Mounted. Have not decided if I will use pulls, or use a touch latch.
IMG_3246.jpg

Plywood detail. Should look great with open pores painted purple.
IMG_3245.jpg

Last edited:

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE! Suggestion... Seal, as in no way for water to penetrate, the cut ends of the ply, all of them. Even marine grade will wick water and warp and delaminate the plys. Trust me on this... I know. Protect that really nice wood flooring, as well. It's a reef tank and water happens no matter how well we plan. Make sure that you calculate the amount of water flowing into the sump, when the power goes out, will be contained within the sump. This is often overlooked when building. Overflowing sumps due to water still draining during a power outage or when you need to turn off the return pump is really a drag.

OP
OP
mrpizzaface

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NICE! Suggestion... Seal, as in no way for water to penetrate, the cut ends of the ply, all of them. Even marine grade will wick water and warp and delaminate the plys. Trust me on this... I know. Protect that really nice wood flooring, as well. It's a reef tank and water happens no matter how well we plan. Make sure that you calculate the amount of water flowing into the sump, when the power goes out, will be contained within the sump. This is often overlooked when building. Overflowing sumps due to water still draining during a power outage or when you need to turn off the return pump is really a drag.

I appreciate the suggestions. The Matthews Paint I will be using is an industrial grade sign paint. I have made a lot of outdoor furniture for clients using the Meranti marine grade ply with Matthews Paint as the finish, and had excellent results. As far as the sump is concerned , I will leave extra room in the sump to allow for drainage and return water siphon.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 39 51.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 6 7.9%
Back