Pretty sure I've managed to get Ich or Velvet into my DT...

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its interesting, because if velvet was that much of an issue, the stores would constantly have it in thier non medicated tanks. I have never seen this happen and not only that but they have had the same fish in them for years.....ive Ive likely purchased over 100 fish and never ran into velvet. At least not to the extent that it killed fish.
You must live on a different planet than I do... I've bought or seen fish with velvet from almost every shop in Los Angeles. I can't think of a LFS here that I would buy fish from anymore. Almost none of them quarantine and the ones that do, usually run low level copper in their systems, which only masks disease.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quarantining is hard, especially with sensitive fish like wrasses, or big fish where ammonia management becomes an issue (quarantined a pair of crosshatch triggers where I had to change the water every other day), but after two separate outbreaks in my big display, I won't risk it anymore. I have a bandit angel in quarantine right now, who is healthy as a horse and heck if I'm going to risk killing a thousand dollar fish using the pour and pray method with his substantially less expensive tank mates...

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My luck just keeps on getting worse.

June 7th - I notice what appears to be velvet in my 100g display. I spend about 6 hours trying to catch the fish only succeeding in catching 2 of 11.
June 8th - I decide to remove my corals (barely any, since it's a new rebuild) and clean up crew and just treat the display with copper, knowing full well that it will be a pain in the behind to remove, but seemingly favorable to tearing down my cemented aquascape and having no biofilter (120lbs of TLF Stax, cemented with E-Marco on a starboard bare bottom)
June 15th - Copper in DT is over 1.5ppm chelated and all fish seem fine. Same in QT with the two wrasses I caught, but my supermale lineatus decides to stop eating.
June 17th - Moved my Velvet Multicolor wrasse back to the display, since he is handling Cu fine and remove the Cu from my QT with the Lineatus. Treat the Lineatus with CP. Which he doesn't care for either. So I pull that out a couple days later. Aside from hiding, he isn't exhibiting any symptoms of velvet.
June 15th - July 15th - I am able to keep Cu levels in my DT between 1.6 - 1.8, dipping once to 1.48, fish look good, the rock does definitely cause some fluctuations, but not super drastic.
July 15th - Start removing the Cu from the display (might be 4-5 hours short of 30 days)
July 27th - After a few water changes, a ton of Polyfilter, a couple Triton Detox treatments Cu is down to 0.25. Figure I can get it down to undetectable in another month tops... Then I notice my fish flashing...

My QTs are full, no capacity for the amount of fish I have anyways (3x10gal, usually one fish at a time). I could go buy a 75 gallon throwaway tank or a big rubbermaid container, but I doubt my wife and kids would be stoked about it being in the living room, not to mention the lack of filtration for that bioload. Think I probably have no other choice but to start over with Cu in the display and hope that the fish can withstand another 30 days of treatment, probably at 2.0 this time.

Meanwhile I have a 6" lineatus whose been in a 10g QT for over a month and a half, undergoing antibiotics for popeye, hides all day, barely coming out to eat and freaks out all over the tank when I change the water...

And don't get me started on the bandit angel I lost 3 weeks into quarantine to a gnarly bacterial infection that seemed to appear out of the blue. Did fine with General Cure followed up 2.5 weeks of CP, eating like a pig then stopped eating and died in under 48 hours...

On the bright side, my 3 other established systems and my frag tank are all fine. Haven't lost a coral or anemone in months... knock on wood.

Going to observe for another 12 hours before I make a decision. This hobby is brutal...

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bandit angel in quarantine right now, who is healthy as a horse and heck if I'm going to risk killing a thousand dollar fish using the pour and pray method with his substantially less expensive tank mates...
Famous last words...

ReefWithCare

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s amazing that you can buy $500+ fish and they aren’t guaranteed or pre-QT’ed. Those are the best fish for a business to do that with [emoji29]

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s amazing that you can buy $500+ fish and they aren’t guaranteed or pre-QT’ed. Those are the best fish for a business to do that with [emoji29]
I feel that, but at the same time, I got it straight from the collector for less than half the retail price. I have seen them fully conditioned for $1500. I don't blame the supplier, it was a gram negative bacterial infection, happened 3 weeks in under my watch. I didn't realize what it was until it was too late. I thought I had an undetected ammonia issue. Had I dipped and treated with antibiotics right away, I may have been able to save it. Expensive lesson learned.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did I ever tell you the one about the guy who paid $25k for an albino yellow tang that turned yellow a few weeks later? PayPal, Friends & Family... 0 recourse.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My luck just keeps on getting worse.

June 7th - I notice what appears to be velvet in my 100g display. I spend about 6 hours trying to catch the fish only succeeding in catching 2 of 11.
June 8th - I decide to remove my corals (barely any, since it's a new rebuild) and clean up crew and just treat the display with copper, knowing full well that it will be a pain in the behind to remove, but seemingly favorable to tearing down my cemented aquascape and having no biofilter (120lbs of TLF Stax, cemented with E-Marco on a starboard bare bottom)
June 15th - Copper in DT is over 1.5ppm chelated and all fish seem fine. Same in QT with the two wrasses I caught, but my supermale lineatus decides to stop eating.
June 17th - Moved my Velvet Multicolor wrasse back to the display, since he is handling Cu fine and remove the Cu from my QT with the Lineatus. Treat the Lineatus with CP. Which he doesn't care for either. So I pull that out a couple days later. Aside from hiding, he isn't exhibiting any symptoms of velvet.
June 15th - July 15th - I am able to keep Cu levels in my DT between 1.6 - 1.8, dipping once to 1.48, fish look good, the rock does definitely cause some fluctuations, but not super drastic.
July 15th - Start removing the Cu from the display (might be 4-5 hours short of 30 days)
July 27th - After a few water changes, a ton of Polyfilter, a couple Triton Detox treatments Cu is down to 0.25. Figure I can get it down to undetectable in another month tops... Then I notice my fish flashing...

My QTs are full, no capacity for the amount of fish I have anyways (3x10gal, usually one fish at a time). I could go buy a 75 gallon throwaway tank or a big rubbermaid container, but I doubt my wife and kids would be stoked about it being in the living room, not to mention the lack of filtration for that bioload. Think I probably have no other choice but to start over with Cu in the display and hope that the fish can withstand another 30 days of treatment, probably at 2.0 this time.

Meanwhile I have a 6" lineatus whose been in a 10g QT for over a month and a half, undergoing antibiotics for popeye, hides all day, barely coming out to eat and freaks out all over the tank when I change the water...

And don't get me started on the bandit angel I lost 3 weeks into quarantine to a gnarly bacterial infection that seemed to appear out of the blue. Did fine with General Cure followed up 2.5 weeks of CP, eating like a pig then stopped eating and died in under 48 hours...

On the bright side, my 3 other established systems and my frag tank are all fine. Haven't lost a coral or anemone in months... knock on wood.

Going to observe for another 12 hours before I make a decision. This hobby is brutal...
Just realized what my coal mine is missing: a canary! Off to PetSmart to grab a trusty black molly, that will be a surefire way to tell if it's an actual parasite...

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some mollies drip acclimating... haven't seen any flashing or obvious symptoms. Hopefully I am just being hyper-paranoid. I really don't need anymore aquarium drama in my life right now :).

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow....I just saw this thread! I am so sorry about your fish losses! I commend you for everything you are doing to save the fish you can! I am sure a lot of people would have thrown in the towel by now! I hope things turn around for you. I know first hand how frustrating it is to have fish who are active and eatting one day and gone the next! Keep us posted....and good luck!

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they look fine today and the mollies don’t appear to be sick. Going to continue removing the copper and watch closely.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back