Pretty sure my clown has an internal parasite what do I use to treat?

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the other day I noticed my clown fish had some stringy poop and it looked brown to me I just thought it was intestinal problems as I had just fed my tank. I looked today and there was stringy poop coming from my clown again and I haven’t fed today. Here are some pictures I tried to get the best ones I could. Does anyone know the best reef safe way to treat an internal parasite like this?

94171769-470A-4330-A62C-9CE759A9A129.jpeg 0B1E4DE3-6D8E-43F1-92ED-B0BF01D44E8C.jpeg 377544C1-3C86-4496-8295-6E3D9270BB29.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of foods are you feeding? Are the stringy feces still brown?
Jay

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of foods are you feeding? Are the stringy feces still brown?
Jay
I feed it the cubes of mysis shrimp that are frozen. I thought it could be intestinal irritation but I didn’t feed today and I saw it coming out so i don’t know what’s wrong.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis shouldn't have caused that, some pelleted foods will (brown feces stringy though).

I'm dancing around the issue here because there really isn't a reef safe treatment for this. Metronidazole or antibiotics would be the best option, but "medicated foods" are not as easy to produce as people may think. You can't just soak food in medication like people will suggest. Here is an article I wrote about that: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/proper-dosing-of-medicated-foods.780/

If the fish is eating o.k. and not showing any other symptoms, I'd let it go for now, unless those conditions change.

Jay

OP
OP
TrevorL

TrevorL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis shouldn't have caused that, some pelleted foods will (brown feces stringy though).

I'm dancing around the issue here because there really isn't a reef safe treatment for this. Metronidazole or antibiotics would be the best option, but "medicated foods" are not as easy to produce as people may think. You can't just soak food in medication like people will suggest. Here is an article I wrote about that: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/proper-dosing-of-medicated-foods.780/

If the fish is eating o.k. and not showing any other symptoms, I'd let it go for now, unless those conditions change.

Jay
Ok. The fish is eating fine when I feed and it doesn’t look to have a pinched stomach or anything from what I’ve read

cmmatxh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mix pellets with seachem focus, metroplex and Brightwell GarlicPower. this i how i treated 3 of my clowns, feed them this for about a week maybe two i don’t recall but until you see that they no longer poop like that. don’t wait too long bc they’re going to get to a point where they get too skinny and won’t eat

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back