Pretty upset about this, what would you do?

Shim the corner of the stand not the tank. That should level the corner.
I can't remember who was telling the story at a club meeting. It could have been Mike Paletta, but memory is hazy...

Anyway it was somebody many of us know and is credible. There were photos of the before, but I think the home owner asked for the after photos not to be made public.

The story goes something like they were brought in to consult with the stocking and startup of very large game room reef tank in a private residence... If I remember it was in the very high hundreds or very low thousands of gallons. Maybe 16 foot tank or something like that. It was a pro athlete or high profile personality or similar with a game room the size of your home... High end bar with custom hand carved rail, etc. that seated nunerous people - custom high end pool table, theater - the works. The photos were stunning...

Anyway the contractor who was installing the physical tank was shimming the entire length of the perimeter to compensate for construction variance....

I can't remember of the consultant warned them and was told "Meh buddy you stick to fish and corals, we know what we are doing" or if it was witnessed too late to matter. But one way or the other the system burst due to stress cracks as a result of the shims. As I said, details are foggy, but it was a huge disaster and If memory serves the bar, pool table, autographed memorabilia, drywall, carpet... etc. Was all a loss.
 
His floor is uneven - there is nothing wrong with the tank or stand. :)
They were just getting a good start lighting the torches and gathering the pitchforks :face-with-tears-of-joy:
 
I can't remember who was telling the story at a club meeting. It could have been Mike Paletta, but memory is hazy...

Anyway it was somebody many of us know and is credible. There were photos of the before, but I think the home owner asked for the after photos not to be made public.

The story goes something like they were brought in to consult with the stocking and startup of very large game room reef tank in a private residence... If I remember it was in the very high hundreds or very low thousands of gallons. Maybe 16 foot tank or something like that. It was a pro athlete or high profile personality or similar with a game room the size of your home... High end bar with custom hand carved rail, etc. that seated nunerous people - custom high end pool table, theater - the works. The photos were stunning...

Anyway the contractor who was installing the physical tank was shimming the entire length of the perimeter to compensate for construction variance....

I can't remember of the consultant warned them and was told "Meh buddy you stick to fish and corals, we know what we are doing" or if it was witnessed too late to matter. But one way or the other the system burst due to stress cracks as a result of the shims. As I said, details are foggy, but it was a huge disaster and If memory serves the bar, pool table, autographed memorabilia, drywall, carpet... etc. Was all a loss.
Wow!
Yes shim the stand, not the tank!
 
Wow!
Yes shim the stand, not the tank!
I’m the kind of person that if someone is dim enough to try and shim directly under a glass box just let it happen.That’s a pretty basic lesson in life they obviously needed to learn anyways and will quickly make them realise their limitations 😂
 
I’m the kind of person that if someone is dim enough to try and shim directly under a glass box just let it happen.That’s a pretty basic lesson in life they obviously needed to learn anyways and will quickly make them realise their limitations 😂
We all have are skills and deficiencies. Some people just don't grasp certain things, That doesn't always mean they are dim. That said, I suppose you can put the global population a few different bell curves, ranging from aptitude, to IQ to resourcefulness.

Trial by fire is certainly a way to learn, and one would expect somebody selling a service to be an expert in that service. But I would refer you to the bell curves mentioned above, be they a doctor, brick layer or quarterback....

Couple that with the "fake it until you make it" mindset that often comes with large job bids (of any kind) and you can see what happens :)
 
I can't remember who was telling the story at a club meeting. It could have been Mike Paletta, but memory is hazy...

Anyway it was somebody many of us know and is credible. There were photos of the before, but I think the home owner asked for the after photos not to be made public.

The story goes something like they were brought in to consult with the stocking and startup of very large game room reef tank in a private residence... If I remember it was in the very high hundreds or very low thousands of gallons. Maybe 16 foot tank or something like that. It was a pro athlete or high profile personality or similar with a game room the size of your home... High end bar with custom hand carved rail, etc. that seated nunerous people - custom high end pool table, theater - the works. The photos were stunning...

Anyway the contractor who was installing the physical tank was shimming the entire length of the perimeter to compensate for construction variance....

I can't remember of the consultant warned them and was told "Meh buddy you stick to fish and corals, we know what we are doing" or if it was witnessed too late to matter. But one way or the other the system burst due to stress cracks as a result of the shims. As I said, details are foggy, but it was a huge disaster and If memory serves the bar, pool table, autographed memorabilia, drywall, carpet... etc. Was all a loss.
Wait they shimmed the tank itself!? Crazy
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 17 34.7%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 6.1%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 10.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 6.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new