Preventing GHA smothering?

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a clump of caulerpa that was smothered by rapid GHA growth that was growing too quickly for me to remove. How do I prevent this? I'm thinking of picking up some chaetos over the weekend because caulerpa ended up not tasting great, but I don't want the same thing to occur. How do I prevent this?

Also, I don't have enough space to put a powerhead in my sump, and my return pump is planned to be sock - covered in addition to not being very strong, so flow is out of the option unless I put it in the dt, which I hope I won't need to do(ugly).

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less light maybe? Chaeto might help, it might not. CUC is a good option.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I got chaeto this week and it’s been doing fine, I flip it twice every day and as far as I can see GHA isn’t getting to it. What should I do to get it off if it does grow onto the chaeto?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have a clump of caulerpa that was smothered by rapid GHA growth that was growing too quickly for me to remove. How do I prevent this? I'm thinking of picking up some chaetos over the weekend because caulerpa ended up not tasting great, but I don't want the same thing to occur. How do I prevent this?

Also, I don't have enough space to put a powerhead in my sump, and my return pump is planned to be sock - covered in addition to not being very strong, so flow is out of the option unless I put it in the dt, which I hope I won't need to do(ugly).
Epiphytic growth like what you describe can mean that your macro algae is sick and can’t keep its surface clean. Lack of flow can give the advantage to filamentous algae growth because its large surface arae to volume.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back