Preventing salt creep in my refugium section

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a marine Depot trigger system sump and I have noticed a lot of salt creep coming from one section more than others, my refugium section.
This section has a lid but the water builds up on the lid and then spreads to the edges of the lid and leaks over. I’ve noticed my salinity is low at like 1.014 although corals and whatnot are doing fine.

I will be in the process of slowly raising my salinity overtime and just figured I’d like to fix one the biggest problems. The left side is the filter cups with poly fil and has a piece of black filter floss over it and it doesn’t cause any salt creep at all on the left.

A831496F-124A-49FA-8920-32E2586D07CD.jpeg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that section get alot of bubbles or splashing?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does that section get alot of bubbles or splashing?
I’d say it doesn’t get much splashing but bubbles do go through but larger ones being the extra air in the line from my overflow. Basically I have an overflow and at the bottom is a split where half goes to my Fuge with a gate valve and then the rest goes to my socks with a gate valve. I do a poor job at managing which section gets the better flow but I make it so most of the water goes to the cups. Ultimately it causes my overflow to gurgle. Yeah too much information I’m sorry!

UM Aquarium Club

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure about that salinity value? How have you been measuring it? That converts to a salinity of about 18.6 ppt which is far lower than I would ever put coral in. Is that what the tank has always run at or has it dropped for some reason?

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your salinity is 1.014!?!?!
Yes I know it’s really low. Oddly enough it happened over a long period of time even tho I tend to make salt water correctly.. unless my saltwater is off too. Anyways it’s strange because all my corals and stuff are doing great.

FC7FE352-5E56-49BE-A31D-5AFAB473C6D9.jpeg

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure about that salinity value? How have you been measuring it? That converts to a salinity of about 18.6 ppt which is far lower than I would ever put coral in. Is that what the tank has always run at or has it dropped for some reason?
It’s what my salinity sensor says. So yeah I’m pretty sure. It’s also been calibrated multiple times. I’m just trying to fix some of the salt creep because I tend to top off with just ro/di.

UM Aquarium Club

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you've been only adding ro/di and have been losing salt through the sump I'd try to do water changes with some higher salinity water and in general try to raise the salinity over time because I think you'll see declines over time if you keep the salinity at that level and the salinity measures are correct.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you've been only adding ro/di and have been losing salt through the sump I'd try to do water changes with some higher salinity water and in general try to raise the salinity over time because I think you'll see declines over time if you keep the salinity at that level and the salinity measures are correct.
I agree.: that’s why I mentioned it in my original post that I was working on raising it. It was more about a thread on how to prevent losing as much salt

UM Aquarium Club

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even small amounts of splashing can result in loss of salt as the water hits the side of the sump and evaporates leaving the salt behind. If there are any points that water is splashing or being dropped down a bit like from a return hose I'd try to reduce that as much as possible.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back