Preventive treatments for new clown fish (coming soon)

cmoore806

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I've just started cycling a 13.5 gallon nano tank yesterday. should have a QT setup and starting to cycle tonight. Sometime in the next few weeks I plan to pickup a first fish or two locally and start a QT process likely following Humblefish guidelines.

I've read clowns commonly get Brooklynella yet I can't find a preventive treatment for Brook here on R2R. Can only find people getting advise on a formalin dip and sterile QT while DT is fallow for 6 weeks. But being brand new QT and introducing a new clown maybe with a purple filefish at the same time I was hoping to avoid by prophylactically treating in QT.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to use the 2nd option below: 90 min. bath in Ruby Reef Rally and then into a clean/sterile QT and dose metro every two days for 10-14 days.

Treatment OptionsFormalin is the most effective treatment for Brook, but using Ruby Reef Rally is another good option. Both are best applied via bath treatment, and more information on this can be found in the links below.

Formalin (45 min bath) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/formalin.290925/

Rally (90 min bath) https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/acriflavine.282887/

Post bath, transfer the fish into a clean/sterile QT to prevent reinfection. It is a wise course of action to dose Chloroquine Phosphate once (60 mg/gal) or metronidazole every 48 hours for 10-14 days thereafter. This is an “insurance policy” to ensure all of the parasites have been eliminated.

A 5 minute freshwater dip may provide temporary relief if you are unable to locate any of the aforementioned medications right away. Some even claim total eradication of the disease is possible just by performing multiple freshwater dips on the fish. Again, transfer the fish into a new/sterile QT following each freshwater dip to prevent reinfection.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 24 51.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.4%
Back