Prime, Methylene Blue, PraziPro, Peroxide - safe together?

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I'm trying to figure out which of these can be used safely together. Not that I would use all at once though. I'm using Tank Transfer Method with Peroxide. So before two of the transfers, I do a peroxide bath. Anyway...

Methylene Blue - my ammonia got up to 1 right before I did a transfer (was surprised to see this), so I want to use it to help repair any possible damage from ammonia.

Prime - I'd like to use to use this in a day or two to bring ammonia down. Is it okay with MB in the water?

PraziPro or General Cure - I was thinking about using one of these as it appears I might have an internal parasite on one of my fish. Okay with Prime or MB in water?

Hydrogen Peroxide - I won't use before the upcoming transfer, but I will on the next one. Is it okay to use it after having Prime, MB, and/or PraziPro or General Cure in the water?

Thanks!
--Kyle

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The less on mixing meds, the better, in my opinion.

I wasn't aware Humblefish finalized his peroxide treatment plan yet. I didn't think he was quite sure what concentrations were safe or how much it took to actually erradicate a particular parasite. Too new for me to trust this yet.

Prime is a band-aid only...it binds the ammonia for 48hrs so it can't be uptaken by the fish's system. Then supposedly releases it back into the water. Depending how big your quarantine tank, the ammonia could brs removed with a water change...or even with the addition of some BioSpira. I am only aware of Prime interacting with copper treatments.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime only interacts with ionic copper. Safe to use witg chelated copper products. Theres a humble post somewhere on here about it.

methylene blue is used in a bath. It will permanently stain things, dont use in a tank. Works by turning methemoglobin into hemoglobin. If exposed for too long will result inMethemoglobinemia, this occurs in human treatments, mind you its used intravenously or orally for these treatments.

Prazipro or praziquantel will reduce o2, best not to mix with other meds for this reason, but if dealing with flukes and velvet, can be used together with additional aeration and observation.

the peroxide treatment that humble describes involves periods of zerosurface agitation. Would not use with any meds that decrease o2. Prazipro, antibiotics, etc.

Do not mix multiple broad spectrum antibiotics. Adding furan 2 and doxycycline will result in very large o2 depletion and ammonia spike, as the biofilter is killed off.

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The less on mixing meds, the better, in my opinion.

I wasn't aware Humblefish finalized his peroxide treatment plan yet. I didn't think he was quite sure what concentrations were safe or how much it took to actually erradicate a particular parasite. Too new for me to trust this yet.

Prime is a band-aid only...it binds the ammonia for 48hrs so it can't be uptaken by the fish's system. Then supposedly releases it back into the water. Depending how big your quarantine tank, the ammonia could brs removed with a water change...or even with the addition of some BioSpira. I am only aware of Prime interacting with copper treatments.

The 48 hours with Prime is fine since doing TTM I will be removing the fish before it's no longer effective. And agreed, I don't want to mix meds any more than necessary. True, his TTM with Peroxide is experimental. I thought it sounded like a good idea to try as I've done regular TTM in the past with good results.

Prime only interacts with ionic copper. Safe to use witg chelated copper products. Theres a humble post somewhere on here about it.

methylene blue is used in a bath. It will permanently stain things, dont use in a tank. Works by turning methemoglobin into hemoglobin. If exposed for too long will result inMethemoglobinemia, this occurs in human treatments, mind you its used intravenously or orally for these treatments.

Prazipro or praziquantel will reduce o2, best not to mix with other meds for this reason, but if dealing with flukes and velvet, can be used together with additional aeration and observation.

the peroxide treatment that humble describes involves periods of zerosurface agitation. Would not use with any meds that decrease o2. Prazipro, antibiotics, etc.

Do not mix multiple broad spectrum antibiotics. Adding furan 2 and doxycycline will result in very large o2 depletion and ammonia spike, as the biofilter is killed off.

Yeah, MB will stain a tank, but this is in my 10g TTM-only tanks. I'm not worried about blue silicone. :) I read Humblefish's notes on adding it directly to a QT. How long is too long?

Thanks for all the additional notes!
--Kyle

OP
OP
kyley

kyley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HI @Gareth elliott, do you know anymore about this (how long is too long)? I did a quick search but couldn't really find anything about Methemoglobinemia and MB. Thanks,
--Kyle

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the concentration is lowered you should be alright, say half or less the bath amount.

Human dosage of methylene blue is
0.1 to 0.2 mL/kg using 1% solution. A small fish is around 200g-500g. Would try not to go over that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back