Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Dhaleillama

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe these so-called iron issues in the Tropic Marin are only affecting people that are doing normal water changes on a weekly or biweekly basis of a percentage of 10% or more. But not affecting the people that are using it on an auto dosing system doing daily water changes of a very small percent the iron is not affecting anything dissipating out faster than it could build up.
Not sure to be honest, But SBB corals made a big post about how all of his tanks were crashing and months of ICP testing all his water sources in and out and his tanks he narrowed it down to believe its the salt, swapped salts to RS BB like I did and saw instant results.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe these so-called iron issues in the Tropic Marin are only affecting people that are doing normal water changes on a weekly or biweekly basis of a percentage of 10% or more. But not affecting the people that are using it on an auto dosing system doing daily water changes of a very small percent the iron is not affecting anything dissipating out faster than it could build up.
put me down with in the category of doing water changes biweekly,with 10% and not having an issue

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
put me down with in the category of doing water changes biweekly,with 10% and not having an issue
Oh ok i’m in the category of daily water changes and I don’t believe I’m having an issue but with that being said always struggling trying to figure out how to make things happier and look healthier so maybe there is something going on with the salt I use I’ve never switched so I would not know. And maybe you’re in the same boat as me do you have a thriving beautiful tank because mine looks OK but I’m sure I could look much nicer

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
They weren’t sold out like yesterday, I was just looking at which salt to switch to. Seems fishy

Has anyone confirmed whether they have bought salt with issues from anywhere other than BRS (or it’s supply chain)?

If the problem is confined to BRS, then maybe there is no need for anyone else to quarantine stock (assuming that is what BRS has done, which doesn’t appear to have been confirmed by anybody).

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Has anyone confirmed whether they have bought salt with issues from anywhere other than BRS (or it’s supply chain)?

If the problem is confined to BRS, then maybe there is no need for anyone else to quarantine stock (assuming that is what BRS has done, which doesn’t appear to have been confirmed by anybody).
My 1/2 sized box that started all this was from BRS (purchased Oct/Nov 2021). Box said made in turkey, no batch number printed on label like the German boxes do. Not sure if there was a price tag sticker as it’s already been trashed, but I do not recall any.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using TMP salt, 10% water changes weekly. ICP tests done once a month, Iron always 0 for past 12 months. I attached ICP from week ago. Mixing container can accumulate some residue over time, if I clean it it will stay clean until it gets contaminated by I suspect Organics.

Attachments

• 15E6A63D-6A6E-4E88-8AC5-C993A8FCAC63.jpeg
    15E6A63D-6A6E-4E88-8AC5-C993A8FCAC63.jpeg
    203.1 KB · Views: 77

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My salt did not come from brs…

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The salt I’m had issues with came from Saltwater Aquarium not BRS. I think I’d said it came from BRS, but tracing back it didn’t.

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots in this thread, three main takeaways for me:

1. there are a lot of variables at play, so it is hard for any manufacturer to sift through the and determine root cause, given the nature of this hobby. "Nothing else has changed" are famous last words for many hobbyists, although not all. I have been guilty of trying to blame one thing, when it was the 4 things I was doing overall when I actually sat and thought about it.
2. TM could let us know if there are elevated complaint levels for certain batches, that are higher than a normal %. They could then repeatedly test those batches and let us know.
3. It is hard for manufacturers to tally complaints that being said, since most people don't complain officially to the manufacturer, instead they use forums like reef2reef to see if they are the only ones.

Not as easy solution, I am happy to see TM being proactive and get in front of this and engage in these forums, especially when people tend to throw firebombs vs work to get to the root cause with the company. Everyone is a telephone tough guy over the interwebs:).

I just bought a bunch of TMP from BRS in November for the first time, will see how it goes:).

CK00020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth I do about 15gal weekly water changes, and am through 1 bucket of Turkish salt and into one of the dreaded Black Friday boxes and have not noticed any change to my tank. Lps only at this point, but I think it does have a little different smell to the salt, and mixes dirtier. I always hear about how clean it mixes, but have to thoroughly clean my mixing container annually. I am going to switch salts based on cost and uncertainty of this high priced salt. I will also be doing an icp test when I am done using this Turkish salt, which should be telling as I had one just before using it.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1/2 sized box that started all this was from BRS (purchased Oct/Nov 2021). Box said made in turkey, no batch number printed on label like the German boxes do. Not sure if there was a price tag sticker as it’s already been trashed, but I do not recall any.
yes I bought 3 boxes as I posted to confirm your turkey box had no batch number.
My two boxes from Germany had batch numbers and the box from Turkey did not. All 3 boxes were ordered from BRS at the same time and sent to me about two weeks ago..early Jan 2022
I used the two from Germany but did not use the Turkey box...holding it incase of a recall or something..
I did notice yesterday that Saltwater Aquarium has a lot of salt brands on hand...

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I am going to try and run 250ml of cuprisorb in the tank for 2 weeks or so as a safeguard..

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
or use the cuprisorb in your newly mixed water overnight before adding to the tank?
Thanks ...I am cycling a 300 right now ..Started yesterday...so I am gonna just put it in the sump...
But good idea with using it in new water when mixed....before use

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I mixed the turkey salt and I did smell a citric smell when I mixed the salt the smell was still there I don't recall that smell in the other tm I mixed. Its sketchy if I should even use this batch of tm .

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I mixed the turkey salt and I did smell a citric smell when I mixed the salt the smell was still there I don't recall that smell in the other tm I mixed. Its sketchy if I should even use this batch of tm .
i don't know what advice to give you on that.. I did not use the 27.5 pound box I got from Turkey...

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
citric smell, hmmm, have you try to test for the pH in the newly mixed water? or just put the pH probe from your tank (assuming you have one in your system) into the new water and see if there is a drastic difference compared to your tank's pH?

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
citric smell, hmmm, have you try to test for the pH in the newly mixed water? or just put the pH probe from your tank (assuming you have one in your system) into the new water and see if there is a drastic difference compared to your tank's pH?
ok ill check the ph . if anyone that uses TM when they mix their salt if it smells like citric smell
thanks

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back