Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ok ill check the ph . if anyone that uses TM when they mix their salt if it smells like citric smell
thanks
This was my first observation in post #1. The citric smell was unique to the box from turkey I received and was one of the reasons I raised concerns starting this thread.

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I mixed the turkey salt and I did smell a citric smell when I mixed the salt the smell was still there I don't recall that smell in the other tm I mixed. Its sketchy if I should even use this batch of tm .
Can you smell the citrus smell before mixing? Also any difference in the looks of dry salt compared to the Germany box?

I ask because I have a box of each and I can't smell any difference nor does the salt look any different. I have not yet mixed the turkey box, holding off until more information is out there.

I have one box that I'm using now that I tossed the cardboard and dumped it in another pal. I have a couple things I been watching thats not going as usual but I'm not yet convinced it's the salt. I'm going to use the known good salt and see if I notice any changes.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you smell the citrus smell before mixing? Also any difference in the looks of dry salt compared to the Germany box?

I ask because I have a box of each and I can't smell any difference nor does the salt look any different. I have not yet mixed the turkey box, holding off until more information is out there.

I have one box that I'm using now that I tossed the cardboard and dumped it in another pal. I have a couple things I been watching thats not going as usual but I'm not yet convinced it's the salt. I'm going to use the known good salt and see if I notice any changes.yes you can smell the citrus odor before mixing. let me know when you open your TM box if its the same smell or not. im still not going to use it but I wanted to confirm what other people have posted about the turkey tm salt smell . there are no black flakes are any residue in the mixing bucket.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here let’s play a game. This is a pic of my 2 dos that are used for auto water changes. Let’s take a guess which side adds fresh mixed tmp and which side removes old tank water

Attachments

• CE408275-A85C-4CCC-9973-4D4C5C617E3D.jpeg
    CE408275-A85C-4CCC-9973-4D4C5C617E3D.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 152

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now here is picture of the hoses to and from dos again which 2 lines are from old tank water and which are from new mixed salt water tank ?

Attachments

• 9AA94634-B05F-44EC-9B7C-063F67594A0C.jpeg
    9AA94634-B05F-44EC-9B7C-063F67594A0C.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 142
  • B7AF793B-3F1A-4EB8-9C14-654713D4205A.jpeg
    B7AF793B-3F1A-4EB8-9C14-654713D4205A.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 107

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here is my batch numbers as you can see my batch’s are wayyyy older then everyone else’s as I got them maybe a year ago and am having same issues.

Attachments

• 730B58A0-491D-427C-8510-D2352E6E829B.jpeg
    730B58A0-491D-427C-8510-D2352E6E829B.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 90
  • E31E898E-3AB6-4FB5-AB84-1DCB309ADFD5.jpeg
    E31E898E-3AB6-4FB5-AB84-1DCB309ADFD5.jpeg
    61.1 KB · Views: 97

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This auto water changing system has only been running since I got a Tropic Marin pro salt so about a year and it has only had Tropic marine salt through it and everything was literally brand new when I started. I hope everyone with an auto dosing system sees the crude in my 30 feet of line from dosing pump to tanks

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me explain something to all of you i used to be an instant ocean salt user I couldn’t stand the mess it made in my mixing station so as I built this $1500 mixing station I decided to only use a Tropic Marin pro because of their claims of how clean it mixes with no sludge or anything so I gave it a shot and this is what I found very disappointed

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My batch number proves that the contamination is not specific to certain batches because of how far apart they are the contamination is at the plant in turkey somehow. But I’m only saying this because I have zero experience with a German made salt I sure wish I did though so I can have something to compare it to but either way this salt mix is dirty unlike its claims. I don’t care what it is I don’t care if it’s iron or Magnis or whatever the heck it is the fact is it’s dirty I don’t need an explanation of why and How blah blah blah it’s dirty period fix it..

Last edited:

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be jumping the gun here but if there is no resolution soon or some type of explanation I'm switching salts. I'm sorry the more i think about it the more I can't justify chancing it. Like many others I have way too much money tied up in corals to be taking these chances. I had a stylo peel, big reduction in polyp extension on Millis and tenius. I'm seeing some brown film on the sandbed after water changes. This could absolutely be some of the ups and downs in reefing and something else is at play. The one story that that sticks with me the most is sbb corals.. I still have 3 large boxes that I guess I'll keep and once we get confirmation of something I can start using them again. I would feel alot better if they find something and offer to replace them or switch them out. I sent off a icp test today was going to wait on results but I don't know I can wait. I really want to order another salt and try a water change to see if I notice a difference.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be jumping the gun here but if there is no resolution soon or some type of explanation I'm switching salts. I'm sorry the more i think about it the more I can't justify chancing it. Like many others I have way too much money tied up in corals to be taking these chances. I had a stylo peel, big reduction in polyp extension on Millis and tenius. I'm seeing some brown film on the sandbed after water changes. This could absolutely be some of the ups and downs in reefing and something else is at play. The one story that that sticks with me the most is sbb corals.. I still have 3 large boxes that I guess I'll keep and once we get confirmation of something I can start using them again. I would feel alot better if they find something and offer to replace them or switch them out. I sent off a icp test today was going to wait on results but I don't know I can wait. I really want to order another salt and try a water change to see if I notice a difference.
For what it’s worth I’m still using my salt as I have been from when I started and have no intentions on switching. I am really hoping and assume there will be a simple logical explanation and everything will be ok TM will take care of it and everything back to normal. IMO this salt has nothing to do with all these tank issues that have been mentioned. This hobby seems to be one of the most complicated for some and then come very simple for others but with that being said we all know how many different ways things can be wrong to cause issues. I would not assume it’s the salt.

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth I’m still using my salt as I have been from when I started and have no intentions on switching. I am really hoping and assume there will be a simple logical explanation and everything will be ok TM will take care of it and everything back to normal. IMO this salt has nothing to do with all these tank issues that have been mentioned. This hobby seems to be one of the most complicated for some and then come very simple for others but with that being said we all know how many different ways things can be wrong to cause issues. I would not assume it’s the salt.
Yea... my mind just wonders sometimes and reading all these stories don't help!

I will try my best to at least wait until I get my icp back and that will put my fears at rest, that's if it comes back without elevated metals that some claim especially iron. If the icp comes back and checks out I will continue on. It may be hard to continue to use the 3 boxes I have with these thoughts going through my head... :(

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... my mind just wonders sometimes and reading all these stories don't help!

I will try my best to at least wait until I get my icp back and that will put my fears at rest, that's if it comes back without elevated metals that some claim especially iron. If the icp comes back and checks out I will continue on. It may be hard to continue to use the 3 boxes I have with these thoughts going through my head... :(
yep, and if your tank starts to develop an issue not related to the salt down the road, you will immediately think its the salt and that will prevent you from looking for the real issue and catch it before its too late.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here the ph by Hannah checker 8.6 1.026 salinity water temp when I checked was 67 degrees. Some observations the salt mix clear. The salt water has a chemical detergent smell. Which I've never encountered before when mixing tm

Attachments

• 20220124_115857.jpg
    20220124_115857.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 20220124_115418.jpg
    20220124_115418.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220124_115354.jpg
    20220124_115354.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 127

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok here the ph by Hannah checker 8.6 1.026 salinity water temp when I checked was 67 degrees. Some observations the salt mix clear. The salt water has a chemical detergent smell. Which I've never encountered before when mixing tm
So now this is what I notice the chemical detergent type smell but I’m not even sure if that’s what it smells like everyone else is saying citrusy but I don’t smell that. Again could just be the normal smell of it as I said before I’ve never use the German salt so I have nothing to compare to.

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now this is what I notice the chemical detergent type smell but I’m not even sure if that’s what it smells like everyone else is saying citrusy but I don’t smell that. Again could just be the normal smell of it as I said before I’ve never use the German salt so I have nothing to compare to.

I have both German and turkey salt and neither has a smell from bag. I put my face in the bags and didn't smell a thing. German salt mixes clear. Haven't mixed the turkey salt yet. I am on a unknown box (throw cardboard away) that mixes clean.

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys I just purchased a small box of IO 10 gallon mix at petco it was 9.99 ok there's no smell to the io salt unlike the tm salt. I don't do alot of water change s I add more water thou so I going use this io 10gal for make up water sorry tm I can't afford to lose corals until the tm issue is resolved.

Beck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using TMP for about 2 years. Four empty 200 gallon buckets that was great salt zero complaints. My last bucket mixed dirty (like everyone is complaining about) I was concerned about it hurting the tank. I called Tropic Martin and they ensured me it's completely safe. About 4 months on this bucket and my tank was starting to crash. I lost SPS, tons of euphyilla, blastos, favia, and more. I was going crazy doing everything I could think of. A last resort I stopped by Petco on my way home from work grabbed a bag of IO made a water change in the same mixing station I've been using. Water change the next day and within 24 hours my tank looked better then it had in a month! Also my mixing station was cleaner with IO then TPM! The rest of that bucket went right in the garbage and I'm trying to sell my other two new sealed buckets. I'll never touch the stuff again.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am so NOT using the 27.5 box of TM pro from Turkey after reading all of this. Gonna hold it until there is a recall or at least a trade back for germany slat of boxes from where ever that have the issue fixed...

Kingston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the guys who have done a water change with a different salt and suddenly noticed a difference, I think it will be helpful to tell us your tank size and the volume of water change that effected these change for the better. I don't know if a 10% water change for instance will dilute whatever is in the remaining 90% to start showing an improvement.

I am in a dilemma myself and don't know what my next step is, so I am following along.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back