Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I disagree that they have really given an answer, and that is my main point.

What have they actually said?

We found some clay stuff in the Turkish plant but nothing else.

Where did this clay come from? What was it composed of? If it didn’t cause any problems then why close the Turkish plant? How can they be sure this isn’t in the German salt? How did it get through QC? How widespread was it? Why were the initial reports of problems ignored? What have they done as part of their investigation? Have they tested batches (or samples) of salt that had reported problems? If so, what was the result? If they haven’t found any problems with the salt, what do they think the reported issues might be, that have come from unrelated end users?

I guess in the end it comes down to whether you trust TM or not. If you do, their response has been adequate, if you don’t then it hasn’t.

To me, there are more questions than answers.

VanDalsenReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Where did this clay come from? What was it composed of? If it didn’t cause any problems then why close the Turkish plant? How can they be sure this isn’t in the German salt? How did it get through QC? How widespread was it? Why were the initial reports of problems ignored? What have they done as part of their investigation? Have they tested batches (or samples) of salt that had reported problems? If so, what was the result? If they haven’t found any problems with the salt, what do they think the reported issues might be, that have come from unrelated end users?

I guess in the end it comes down to whether you trust TM or not. If you do, their response has been adequate, if you don’t then it hasn’t.

Let's day they give you all the info in the world. Would you then continue to buy tropic marin or trust them again? If not then it doesn't matter

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
\

Actually that isn't the case at all. Hobbyist either find it adequate or not. If not then move on.

We can disagree though. Sounds like you are moving on from TM products and I'm staying with them. Regardless of what you or I think they will stay in business and the hobby will continue to beat to the drum.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t take it the wrong way but some of the responses come across like you have axe to grind. You don’t use TMP salt (neither it appears is FORDTECH) so why are you trying so hard to convince actual users there is issue, hidden issue etc…? Just curious, but no need to answer.

Just an aside I use TMP salt and AFR, and I am not planning to change. TM products work well for me. So far all of my dead corrals are related to my mistakes.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A new post and bucket from a Germany. Seems like its playing roulette with what you’ll end up with these days

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Don’t take it the wrong way but some of the responses come across like you have axe to grind. You don’t use TMP salt (neither it appears is FORDTECH) so why are you trying so hard to convince actual users there is issue, hidden issue etc…? Just curious, but no need to answer.

Just an aside I use TMP salt and AFR, and I am not planning to change. TM products work well for me. So far all of my dead corrals are related to my mistakes.

I’m not trying to convince anyone anything. If TM comes out with information that gives customers the confidence that there is nothing wrong with the product then that is a win for everyone.

I have no axe to grind; I’m just saying it as I see it. If consumer confidence is lost then, in my opinion, just saying ‘nothing to see here, move along’ is not going to bring that confidence back. The only things that will, in my opinion, is either for TM to explain fully what they have done and what the results are (which I don’t think they have done at the moment) or to wait a long time and hope people forget about the (potential) issue.

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this thread still going? LOL. They f'd up. We know that and so do they. But they will NEVER tell us exactly what happened or be in anyway accepting of blame because of the huge liabilities. It could sink a company of that size. I'm fine with that because they generally make great products and I use several of them including their Balling Method products.

TM is not the first one to ship contaminated salt mixes, and they won't be the last. Use at your own risk! For me, its a very good salt and comes in the 100gal mix size I need for my mixing tank. I've been using it again since almost immediately after they shutdown the Turkey plant and started making the 100gal mix boxes available again from Germany. All is fine.

I probably avoided more trouble because I don't do large water changes. I mostly do slow constant 10% weekly water changes. 40 gal on 400 gal system . I lost two Birdsnests, a Monti Cap, and a Monti Digi (forest fire) . A lot of other things looked stressed but they recovered. I've also fully cleaned out my mixing tank and all that is fine again. I've moved on and will try to be suspicious of the salt mix faster next time things start going south. Also, look inside the mixing tank for signs of trouble. Better methods and procedures guys. That's on us.

My biggest concern now is consistent supply. Hope the German TM based company learned a lesson and will consider opening a plant here in North America soon to service us on this continent. I mean really guys. Turkey?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is this thread still going? LOL. They f'd up. We know that and so do they. But they will NEVER tell us exactly what happened or be in anyway accepting of blame because of the huge liabilities. It could sink a company of that size. I'm fine with that because they generally make great products and I use several of them including their Balling Method products.

TM is not the first one to ship contaminated salt mixes, and they won't be the last. Use at your own risk! For me, its a very good salt and comes in the 100gal mix size I need for my mixing tank. I've been using it again since almost immediately after they shutdown the Turkey plant and started making the 100gal mix boxes available again from Germany. All is fine.

I probably avoided more trouble because I don't do large water changes. I mostly do slow constant 10% weekly water changes. 40 gal on 400 gal system . I lost two Birdsnests, a Monti Cap, and a Monti Digi (forest fire) . A lot of other things looked stressed but they recovered. I've also fully cleaned out my mixing tank and all that is fine again. I've moved on and will try to be suspicious of the salt mix faster next time things start going south. Also, look inside the mixing tank for signs of trouble. Better methods and procedures guys. That's on us.

My biggest concern now is consistent supply. Hope the German TM based company learned a lesson and will consider opening a plant here in North America soon to service us on this continent. I mean really guys. Turkey?
Just curious, but did you see any stress from Acans or other LPS?

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, but did you see any stress from Acans or other LPS?
Not on my acans. But Euphyllia looked anoyed. Once I realized what was going on I did two big water changes with Brightwell Neo and things quickly started looking better

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not on my acans. But Euphyllia looked anoyed. Once I realized what was going on I did two big water changes with Brightwell Neo and things quickly started looking better
Ok thanks. Been a TM customer for years but the last 200g bucket I’ve been using….noticing some corals very unhappy. SPS polyps not extending, Acans severely retracted, scoly’s retracted. Other corals like trachyphyllia, zoanthids, gonioporas, and clam seem fine though. I’m trying Red Sea blue bucket but assume it will take a while before noticing a change.

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. Been a TM customer for years but the last 200g bucket I’ve been using….noticing some corals very unhappy. SPS polyps not extending, Acans severely retracted, scoly’s retracted. Other corals like trachyphyllia, zoanthids, gonioporas, and clam seem fine though. I’m trying Red Sea blue bucket but assume it will take a while before noticing a change.
Hope you can track down the issues. Of course it might not be the salt so keep an open mind on what might be going on. An ICP test might not be a bad idea. All I can say is that I did not have issues before this happened with the bad batch from Turkey, and all has been fine and back to normal since using the German made salt. Good luck

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How big is your display and how big was the water change. To say that you did a water change and noticed things looked better quickly is odd. I'm pretty sure the TM salt would still be in the system...

spicymikey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your display and how big was the water change. To say that you did a water change and noticed things looked better quickly is odd. I'm pretty sure the TM salt would still be in the system...
400gal. Did two back to back 100gal water changes. "Quickly" didn't mean to suggest instantly. But within a week I saw improvement. I switched to Brightwell Neo Marine for a month. It worked fine but it's more expensive using two 50gal bags vs the TM 100gal box.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hope you can track down the issues. Of course it might not be the salt so keep an open mind on what might be going on. An ICP test might not be a bad idea. All I can say is that I did not have issues before this happened with the bad batch from Turkey, and all has been fine and back to normal since using the German made salt. Good luck
My ICP came back good except to add .76ml of iodine to my 350g system. I’ve been stable with Alk/Calc thanks to a CaRx. I am the same as you in that all I can say is the negative observations started after my third or fourth water change on my last bucket (which was actually German-made).

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ICP came back good except to add .76ml of iodine to my 350g system. I’ve been stable with Alk/Calc thanks to a CaRx. I am the same as you in that all I can say is the negative observations started after my third or fourth water change on my last bucket (which was actually German-made).
I'm not sure that ICP has picked up anything for those with problems with TMP. I don't think it's the best test for whatever contaminant is/was in TMP.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, it’s been over two months since I switched to a Red Sea Blue Bucket and probably 10 or so 10% water changes. I have to admit, the corals (especially Acans) are doing a lot better. I kept everything else in my routine the same as much as possible. I used TM Pro for years before seeing problems, now I’m 1) having better success with RSBB. 2) saving a lot more money on salt. 3) seeing TM still shrugging their shoulders after 8 months (maybe hoping people forget?) 4) seeing others with similar stories and success with switching away from TM; it’s a no-brainer for me to not look back.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back