Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unidentifiable issues are the worst, if the issue was found then maybe we can still use the salt with extra remedy, ie, if the salt is mixing at lower dkh (5 for example), then we can add baking soda to raise it and still use it for water change. unknown issue? and I am going to chance it with my thousands of dollars of corals on a 80 dollar bucket of salt? NO WAY! I'd rather sell it at 1/2 price to fowlr tank owners (given salinity is in check) or use it to melt the snow that just fallen here in NYC.

And if you are telling me it only happens to a random few people, how will I know if I will become the next "lucky guy" or not, how will I feel safe buying the next bucket and put it in my tank? Not leaving that to chance and luck....

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unidentifiable issues are the worst, if the issue was found then maybe we can still use the salt with extra remedy, ie, if the salt is mixing at lower dkh (5 for example), then we can add baking soda to raise it and still use it for water change. unknown issue? and I am going to chance it with my thousands of dollars of corals on a 80 dollar bucket of salt? NO WAY! I'd rather sell it at 1/2 price to fowlr tank owners (given salinity is in check) or use it to melt the snow that just fallen here in NYC.

And if you are telling me it only happens to a random few people, how will I know if I will become the next "lucky guy" or not, how will I feel safe buying the next bucket and put it in my tank? Not leaving that to chance and luck....
well said...right now i have been using a box from Turkey and having no issues, but this issue is making me 2nd guess and i hate that...

my LFS has a bucket right now from Germany, and guess what i'm doing today...

akaimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I would get enough of one of the salts over here, again I would just run a trial. I am just doing a pre-trial with O3/O4 in two buckets (one control) with circulation, lighting and a few monti-frags and corals are still doing well after a few weeks. You don't need much effort to do a trial.

But let's see what Lou says.

Hi Hans, I bought 10 of these buckets and I went through 5 full buckets and one that was used a little. I am ready to cooperate in any way possible to help you figure this out.

Also none of the montis or regular acro corals are affected by the issue based on my observation. They all act as if nothing changed. The issue affects only few specific high end tenuis like JF Home wrecker, SC Orange Passion and some Malaysia tenuis (established 2 year old colonies and frags). Some milli also react with receded polyps but I haven't lost a milli. They just look stressed out.

So testing this out is not simple. It would require specific corals.

Last edited:

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious, are backlots saved from previous batches to test when there are reported issues down the line? It really seems like a potential batch issue and not an ongoing one.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Please post a link to the 80.00 TMP buckets

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a link to the 80.00 TMP buckets
sorry I remembered wrong, it was $96.79, got it in Nov when BRS had the sale.

the $80 was actually the most recent order of the red sea pro coral salt, thats where my memory pull the number from.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my office I have a 25 gallon lagoon. I’ve run TMP in this system since I set it up about 20 months ago.

I do a 20% water change every 10 days in this tank. The bucket of TMP I’ve used the last 4 water changes is a bucket from Turkey. When I do water changes I always keep 2 gallons of saltwater water from the freshly mixed in case I need quick access to fresh saltwater. The ware I store is never stored longer than 10 days.

I’ve never had any residue in the storage container I store the 2 gallons of freshly mixed TMP in, that is until now.

This picture is what the inside of the container looks like after 4 batches of freshly mixed made in Turkey TMP has been stored in it. Each batch is stored for 10 days, then used as part of a water change then replaced with freshly mixed TMP.
Something has changed with the TMP mix coming out of Turkey. This is first bucket out of Turkey I’ve had and never had any residue previous to this bucket.

Attachments

• 20D37AC4-801F-47D4-AA62-739678011D61.jpeg
    20D37AC4-801F-47D4-AA62-739678011D61.jpeg
    127.8 KB · Views: 137

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m really curious on the end result of this. I know TM has been very clear about their strict quality control and no difference in the production sites. If however there is a problem found, it undermines that entire stance. The processes are now insufficient in producing a consistent product at that point. I’ve been using TM for 4 years now and don’t plan to switch because it seems like a small number of cases in the big picture, but I’ll be using the Germany source until this sorts out.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really curious on the end result of this. I know TM has been very clear about their strict quality control and no difference in the production sites. If however there is a problem found, it undermines that entire stance. The processes are now insufficient in producing a consistent product at that point. I’ve been using TM for 4 years now and don’t plan to switch because it seems like a small number of cases in the big picture, but I’ll be using the Germany source until this sorts out.
Agree with and on my way to get a bucket, have a full bucket from Turkey that I have mixed one batch with no issues but that can sit for now till I see some results

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m with you. I’m searching for a German bucket but can’t find any anywhere. I there’s a obvious problem. I’m equally sure they’ll get it sorted out.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is the answer. I use a cheaper brand of salt but if the German manufacturer has been safe for this long for everyone why not just keep on using the buckets made there and stay away from the Turkey buckets? I also agree that Turkey doesn’t scream high quality production like Germany but I don’t think it would matter if no one had any issues with it

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Some or maybe even most issues are never identified, sometimes simply due to lack of cooperation of the complaining. If Lou doesn't get the batch numbers and/or salt samples he can't find out what is going on.
I sent the salt sample in to Lou. He should have it later this week and hopefully it can help sort some of these issues out.

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tropic marine salt measures 90 pbb phosphorus on new mixed up salt. no wonder all my frags died that I tried. Im switching salts.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tropic marine salt measures 90 pbb phosphorus on new mixed up salt. no wonder all my frags died that I tried. Im switching salts.
and the ro/di water you used for the mix is 0 correct? I am just asking to cover your bases.

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can check but I change my filter all the time and use very little water on my 10 gallon.

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My battery on my tds meter is out of power sorry I can't confirm

Bugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bucket says made in Germany. Is that the only way to tell. I thought all salt is coming from turkey now

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The bucket says made in Germany. Is that the only way to tell. I thought all salt is coming from turkey now
No, Only buckets marked made in turkey are coming from the turkey production facility. You will need to test for phosphate in your RODI not via TDS. I’m highly confident your phosphate is coming from your water and not the salt.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back