Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

SaracensRugby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the same conversation I had last night, BRS did say they use TMP salts on all of their tanks and have not noticed anything negative at this point. I didn't ask for clarification on if they were using Turkey or German plant produced salt, but assumed some of the stuff made from Turkey made it's way into their tanks.

I do not doubt the veracity of TM and Lou looking into this. He certainly is proactive on the message boards trying to get samples, etc.

I minor suggestion would be for BRS and/or TM to get samples from all boxes possible, from the Turkish batches (even if nothing seems wrong ie scent or sludge). More samples = more data points. Seeing as I bought 6 boxes of TMP from BRS and BRS is such a big partner for TM, I would hang part of this on them as their dual responsibility being the seller. They want to be the end to end player in this space, time for them to pitch in and help their vendor partners.

Last edited:

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Andre from reef moonshiners is recommending people not use pro reef salt as he has many issues with it lately. Post is on the reefing report website
I seen that! I'm very happy people are trying to get the word out. I have nothing against tropic marin. This could happen to any salt company I imagine. The only thing that could be done differently is tropic marin and brs can recommend against usage until this issue is figured out.

How many people are seeing the issues but are not on reef2reef or browsing the internet or Facebook? They are thinking it's something else. I would bet there is more people having issues that are not reporting or simply don't know what's going on.

I have lost prized corals that I had from the beginning. I literally can't stop thinking about it. What can I do? I go back in time thinking why did I change salts to begin with... who would have known. I can't beat myself up about it but it's sure upsetting.

At this point I'm convinced that what ever it is that's causing this isn't showing up in icp test. If it was I would think the issue would be known and or public by now. I'm still waiting on my icp, should have it back beginning of next week.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i understand TMP, Lou's and Hans stance they are trying to find this cause. Each morning it's getting troublesome with more and more folks, business,etc coming forward with issues and to be truthful i'm getting more and more concerned. I have TMP from Turkey and have no issues so far, but i'm scared to keep on continuing with the salt. I used to think it was a few folks but that has gone on the wayside. Just this morning on most of the groups i belong to on facebook, and even my local one, there have been reported issues.

I was trying to defend TMP for the last few weeks and that is getting harder and harder to do

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i understand TMP, Lou's and Hans stance they are trying to find this cause. Each morning it's getting troublesome with more and more folks, business,etc coming forward with issues and to be truthful i'm getting more and more concerned. I have TMP from Turkey and have no issues so far, but i'm scared to keep on continuing with the salt. I used to think it was a few folks but that has gone on the wayside. Just this morning on most of the groups i belong to on facebook, and even my local one, there have been reported issues.

I was trying to defend TMP for the last few weeks and that is getting harder and harder to do
I understand...I have a 27.5 pound box from Turkey I got from BRS along with two 44 pound boxes from Germany. They wont take it back the 27.5 pound unopened box unless I pay to ship it back.
I hope Tropic Marin issues a recall and does replace pound for pound with Germany or some proven safe salt...
AS far as BRS (bulk reef supply)....I am done buying from them and sticking with the other two places I get stuff from..

Last edited by a moderator:

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand...I have a 27.5 pound box from Turkey I got from BRS along with two 44 pound boxes from Germany. They wont take it back the 27.5 pound unopened box unless I pay to ship it back.
I hope Tropic Marin issues a recall and does replace pound for pound with Germany or some proven safe salt...
AS far as BRS (bulk reef supply)....I am done buying from them and sticking with the other two places I get stuff from..
I made a post under BRS this morning to see what their official stance is,seeing many folks have mentioned them...i wait to see how they reply...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the same conversation I had last night, BRS did say they use TMP salts on all of their tanks and have not noticed anything negative at this point. I didn't ask for clarification on if they were using Turkey or German plant produced salt, but assumed some of the stuff made from Turkey made it's way into their tanks.

I do not doubt the veracity of TM and Lou looking into this. He certainly is proactive on the message boards trying to get samples, etc.

I minor suggestion would be for BRS and/or TM to get samples from all boxes possible, from the Turkish batches (even if nothing seems wrong ie scent or sludge). More samples = more data points. Seeing as I bought 6 boxes of TMP from BRS and BRS is such a big partner for TM, I would hang part of this on them as their dual responsibility being the seller. They want to be the end to end player in this space, time for them to pitch in and help their vendor partners.
Just to answer your questions...

BRS has been using exclusively salt from our Turkish manufacturing facility for over 6 months now. And, yes, we are testing MANY batches of the Turkish made salt. Both from our QC control samples, of which we have multipole from every batch produced. And from many boxes that have been air shipped back over to Europe for testing. You are right....more samples = more data points = more knowledge of issue... I know we will have some concrete answers and recommendations very soon.

It pains me that these things take so long to track down. It is just way more complex than what it seems.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI. I don't know if anyone has seen the new Rappin with Reefbum episode last week with Adam at Battlecorals but he talks about this thread. Starts at 42:10.

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to answer your questions...

BRS has been using exclusively salt from our Turkish manufacturing facility for over 6 months now. And, yes, we are testing MANY batches of the Turkish made salt. Both from our QC control samples, of which we have multipole from every batch produced. And from many boxes that have been air shipped back over to Europe for testing. You are right....more samples = more data points = more knowledge of issue... I know we will have some concrete answers and recommendations very soon.

It pains me that these things take so long to track down. It is just way more complex than what it seems.
Thanks Lou for this reply. I am holding onto a 27.5 box from BRS that came from Turkey incase there is a recall or some sort of swap out program.
I been using TM since 1980's..
I totally believe TM will and is doing the right thing in the coming future...
BRS will not take this 27.5 box back unless I pay to ship it..
Sorry I am done buying from BRS...
At the same time (Jan 2022) I bought this 27.5 box from BRs that came from turkey, I also purchased two 44 pound boxes (batch # 12944077 & 12944089) from BRS that came from Germany. No issues and I used the two 44 pound boxes in my new 300 set up.
The 27.5 pound box has no batch number on the side and the top of the box is covered with shipping labels which I can not get off. I also filled out a questionnaire and sent it in to TM..
Thank you and I hope you have a less stressful day....
Sal Salvino
1 Ocean llc..

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did anyone find TM pro that’s made in Germany. I found German manufactured original TM and the Biocatif but not the pro. Ugh skeptical now about my brand new bucket of TM Pro turkey

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
May go Red Sea blue bucket cause alk is close to my system. Not doing a big water change w a salt that has a 33% increase in alk. Talk about a swing. No ty

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay just prepared my barrel for the arrival of new salt tomorrow. See attached picture of paper towel used to wipe inside of barrel with. I mix 20 to 30 gallons a week and it's used by the end of the week. Then a new batch is started. Although I can't say I seen this grime before I also wasn't looking for it, at the same time I wouldn't consider this bad. If it wouldn't crash my reef i would look past it.

Just wanted to post my findings. I thought it was mixing clean still but it was hard to see in the blue can.

Attachments

• 20220127_173855.jpg
    20220127_173855.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20220127_173855.jpg
    20220127_173855.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 20220127_173845.jpg
    20220127_173845.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 69

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Statement on current supply of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt from our Turkish production facility.

Tropic Marin stands for the highest quality in seawater animal husbandry. Regrettably, in the last few days we have received several complaints that some of our Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt, produced in our Turkish facility, did not meet our exacting optical standards. Our investigation into these complaints has revealed that limited batches of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt may contain a small amount of an insoluble clay mineral impurity that may impact our exacting optical quality standards, resulting in cloudiness, film and/or yellowish or brownish residue in the water. Importantly, we have no evidence that these insoluble clay minerals, causing the cloudiness, are harmful to the animals. Please note that this notice only applies to Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt blended in our facility in Turkey and that the mineral impurity has not been observed in Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced in our German facilities or in any of our other products.

In addition to our own investigations, we have commissioned an in-depth analysis from an external laboratory to verify our findings. As a precautionary measure, we have decided to interrupt the production and distribution of Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef salts, blended in our facility in Turkey, until further notice. Again, this is purely a precautionary measure and has no impact on Tropic Marin® Pro-Reef sea salt produced elsewhere.

We deeply regret any inconvenience this has caused.

Your Tropic Marin® team

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou,
Will there be an exchange program or return program coming in the future?
As I have a 27.5 box from Turkey which I purchased from BRS in JAN 2022 and was informed by BRS that they would not take it back unless I paid for the return shipping. That is crazy!!!!
I am sure there are alot of people here on R2R that have had the same run around from BRS and it is completely bad business practice on BRS.
Why should us customers have to pay to return a product that maybe faulty or not to the standards of the manufacture?
I been using TM since late 1980, I am sure, and hope Tropic Marin will do the right thing for its loyal customers. I do not plan to switch salts.
AS far as BRS, I am done buying from them as I know many are...
Sincerely,
Sal
1 Ocean.LLC. .
PS I look forward to your reply.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a post under BRS this morning to see what their official stance is,seeing many folks have mentioned them...i wait to see how they reply...
Their reply to me was IF it’s mixing brown they’ll take it back but you will be paying for the shipping. Not on 44lbs. I won’t, straight to the trash.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Lou Ekus ty for being transparent and responding to the members of this community with understanding. I am a long time user of the TM Pro. I always recommended your reef salt to hobbyists and stood by the results clearly shown in the health of my reef system. Always skeptical of people giving advice that don’t show their tanks. However this thread concerns me that the product, manufactured in a new facility has inclusions and may not meet the high level of the standards set by TM Germany. My reef is always a work in progress with a goal of making it the best and healthiest closed ecosystem I can provide. It has taken vast amounts of time, effort, patience, and significant financial expenses to make it possible. I would be devastating to lose everything to a water change. I have a new bucket of Turkish manufactured salt I’m really hesitant to use. Can u please direct me where I can purchase TM Pro salt made in Germany. I want to remain loyal but not at the expense of that slice of the ocean I have in my living room. Ty for the time. Stay safe Happy Reefing from the wet pets
B5BAE51E-40FE-4EBF-BA94-8C21B35AB82F.jpeg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.6%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back