Pro Reef salt from Turkey

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

hsosa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
at least TM has admitted to the issue with the turkey salt. last week when I read this thread and I saw my box of unopened turkey im glad I went with my gut feeling s on this as I mixed the Turkey TM salt it smelled like chemicals citrus and I knew something was wrong. then I posted my findings. I feel bad for the reefers that didn't know about the issue fo the bad lots. at first I was doubting my intuition then I purchased the IO salt and compared the smell to the TM salt and it confirmed to me that there is something wrong wit the tm salt . I did fill out the TM form hopefully ill get a coupon to reimburse my tm salt from TM . luckily I didn't suffer any losses. I did hear about a reefer putting together a class action suit for coral losses .

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak on any other salt other then the box of Tropic Marin pro I received.
I can say without a shadow of a doubt the box I received was indeed not safe! Not even close! It caused my sps to peel and killed anemones and cuc. Soon as I did a waterchange from another box which happened to be made in Germany I literally seen an improvement happen before my eyes and a huge improvement within 24hrs! Whatever it was accumulated over the last month or two from partial water changes using the unsafe salt. I seen polyp extension after water change which has been very limited. I lost alot of livestock from this. I'm not going to down play it. I seen no different reaction in my fish but seeing what it did to my coral I would not want my fish in it.

This was a big impact for me.. not only the livestock I lost, I spent alot of time trying to figure out what was going on. I done icp test, I thought I had a contaminate of something and bought poly filter and metasorb. I took every pump, wavemarker and magnet out to inspect. I went over everything and found nothing. I started doing alot of large water changes and this is were things really started to go downhill. It wasn't until I seen reef bums interview and heard them mention an issue with tropic marin salt. It then hit me with a ton of bricks and sure enough it was the salt.

The least they can do is take back the unusable salt I bought.

Last edited:
OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I can't speak on any other salt other then the box of Tropic Marin pro I received.
I can say without a shadow of a doubt the box I received was indeed not safe! Not even close! It caused my sps to peel and killed anemones and cuc. Soon as I did a waterchange from another box which happened to be made in Germany I literally seen a improvement happen before my eyes and a huge improvement within 24hrs! Whatever it was accumulated over the last month or 2 form partial water changes using the unsafe salt. I seen polyp extension after water change which has been very limited. I lost alot of livestock from this. I'm not going to down play it. I seen no different reaction in my fish but seeing what it did to my coral I would not want my fish in it.

This was a big impact for me.. not only the livestock I lost, I spent alot of time trying to figure out what was going on. I thought I had a contaminate of something and bought poly filter and metasorb. I took every pump, wavemarker and magnet out to inspect. I went over everything and found nothing. I started doing alot of large water changes and this is were things really started to go downhill. It wasn't until I seen reef bums interview and heard them mention an issue with tropic marin salt. It then hit me with a ton of bricks and sure enough it was the salt.

I had the same thing happen to my tank earlier this year, before noticing the most recent box from Turkey which made me start this thread. I am now wondering if my last box was a Turkish batch and I did not realize it (no one was looking at where it was made at the time). I had months of healthy corals dying, SPS peeling, etc. I did the same as you couldn't figure it out... tore down all the pumps, sent in an ICP sample (all parameters perfect), used a couple polyfilters - no color change, sent in water to AquaBiomics for a bacterial analysis looking for STN/RTN bacterial - nothing, came back clean. THIS now makes much more sense that I've been using bad salt. I've switched to German made Bio-Actif a couple months ago and my tank made a 100% recovery.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what we can learn from this is maybe from now on instead of stock piling 1 brand of salt, ie, buy 10 boxes of the same thing during a sale, we spread it out like 3 boxes of 3 different brand salts and if we rotate salts doing water changes, the damage from one brand (if contaminated) can be kept to a minimal.

Or just to have a different brand salt on hand when noticing something off after a water change or 2.

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same thing happen to my tank earlier this year, before noticing the most recent box from Turkey which made me start this thread. I am now wondering if my last box was a Turkish batch and I did not realize it (no one was looking at where it was made at the time). I had months of healthy corals dying, SPS peeling, etc. I did the same as you couldn't figure it out... tore down all the pumps, sent in an ICP sample (all parameters perfect), used a couple polyfilters - no color change, sent in water to AquaBiomics for a bacterial analysis looking for STN/RTN bacterial - nothing, came back clean. THIS now makes much more sense that I've been using bad salt. I've switched to German made Bio-Actif a couple months ago and my tank made a 100% recovery.

Wasn't it crazy to see the response to good salt? I had no clue they could react so fast. I would have thought it would have taken several water changes before noticing a change.

They say nothing happens fast in reefing, bull!!!

Try giving your slice of ocean good clean salt after they had bad saltwater for a couple months and watch how fast they respond. It's actually amazing. Just maybe I can make a turnaround from this horrific event!

ReefOnTheBayou

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what we can learn from this is maybe from now on instead of stock piling 1 brand of salt, ie, buy 10 boxes of the same thing during a sale, we spread it out like 3 boxes of 3 different brand salts and if we rotate salts doing water changes, the damage from one brand (if contaminated) can be kept to a minimal.

Or just to have a different brand salt on hand when noticing something off after a water change or 2.

I think your on to something. I think what I'll do is buy some regular IO to keep on hand. When something goes south I can try a waterchange with the IO before tearing my reef apart.

You know I'm going to do that. I guess I was always worried about changing salts but I think a basic salt like IO could work in this manner, just to take the salt out the equation and move on to other areas instead of chasing your tail the whole time.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And that is your right to believe. It is also the right of others who have witnessed adverse effects of using the salt to not believe or use. “Use with caution” meaning that yes the claims are anecdotal currently but there could be an issue since there have been many first hand experiences of such. Also, stopping production sends a clear message of caution. If it was 100% safe and fine production would not stop.

My opinion, and solely is an opinion, is the salt is not safe with the contaminant for sensitive marine animal such as coral, but probably perfect fine and safe in a fish only system. Hence again, “use with caution.”
This is ‘Reef Pro Salt’ with the issue, so it doesn’t console me that it’s ok for fish only. At least they’re getting somewhere with the investigation!

OP
OP
poidog

poidog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It looks like the BRS out of stock/back in stock Turkish inventory pull theory was correct. Only advertising German made now.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 1.59.50 PM.png

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And that is your right to believe. It is also the right of others who have witnessed adverse effects of using the salt to not believe or use. “Use with caution” meaning that yes the claims are anecdotal currently but there could be an issue since there have been many first hand experiences of such. Also, stopping production sends a clear message of caution. If it was 100% safe and fine production would not stop.

My opinion, and solely is an opinion, is the salt is not safe with the contaminant for sensitive marine animal such as coral, but probably perfect fine and safe in a fish only system. Hence again, “use with caution.”
Just out of curiosity, what do you think I believe? I don’t think I mentioned or stated what I believe. But some more facts based on this discussion. On one hand we have TM that did testing/ validation / investigation etc… and stated it is safe to use. Putting their reputation online. On the other hand we have group that used their neighbours ICP tests results, showed pictures of buckets with detergent in them etc… to show or prove I am not sure what. The optics at the moment really don’t look good on the latter group.
Anyways fun discussion I am back to eating popcorn.
Yes I am using aTMP salt and I am not planning to change.

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Been using the regular marine mix for a long time now. usually get pallets but hadn't been able to and I bought 4 boxes last fall and went through them all without incident. I am guessing they were Turkish but I can't say for sure. Bought 4 more just before this thread popped up and these four are the Turkish-made salts for sure.

just curious if anyone out there has had any quirks with the Regular marine mix from turkey. not the pro reef.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using the regular marine mix for a long time now. usually get pallets but hadn't been able to and I bought 4 boxes last fall and went through them all without incident. I am guessing they were Turkish but I can't say for sure. Bought 4 more just before this thread popped up and these four are the Turkish-made salts for sure.

just curious if anyone out there has had any quirks with the Regular marine mix from turkey. not the pro reef.
Don’t know if I can help but reading all here and Facebook plus the statement,it appears the only effected salt is pro from Turkey…

I can tell you I have been thru 2 boxes of pro from Turkey and I have not seen one issue…but I can tell you even before the statement I was looking for salt from Germany or switching

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say without a shadow of a doubt the box I received was indeed not safe! Not even close! It caused my sps to peel and killed anemones and cuc. Soon as I did a waterchange from another box which happened to be made in Germany I literally seen an improvement happen before my eyes and a huge improvement within 24hrs! Whatever it was accumulated over the last month or two from partial water changes using the unsafe salt. I seen polyp extension after water change which has been very limited. I lost alot of livestock from this. I'm not going to down play it. I seen no different reaction in my fish but seeing what it did to my coral I would not want my fish in it.

This was a big impact for me.. not only the livestock I lost, I spent alot of time trying to figure out what was going on. I done icp test, I thought I had a contaminate of something and bought poly filter and metasorb. I took every pump, wavemarker and magnet out to inspect. I went over everything and found nothing. I started doing alot of large water changes and this is were things really started to go downhill. It wasn't until I seen reef bums interview and heard them mention an issue with tropic marin salt. It then hit me with a ton of bricks and sure enough it was the salt.

I had the same experience. Browning acros and STN with every water change. Thankfully I switched salts before total losses occurred but acros were hit hard. Now they are making a great recovery with every water change.

For some of us the salt is absolutely not safe. LPS, inverts, and fish were unaffected for me.

David_Todorov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely got a bad batch myself, although I don't knew why the batch sticker is on the bottom, I feel like this is the last place you would want to put it. It has 2133 in it, anybody have something similar so I can fill out that survey
20220128_182810.jpg

Attachments

• 20220128_183035.jpg
    20220128_183035.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 70

David_Todorov

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same experience. Browning acros and STN with every water change. Thankfully I switched salts before total losses occurred but acros were hit hard. Now they are making a great recovery with every water change.

For some of us the salt is absolutely not safe. LPS, inverts, and fish were unaffected for me.

If your talking about the purple Stylo, the tips always are white.
Oh no, not the stylo, the one closer to the bottom, the mound of Venus looking thing. IF YOU DON'T KN9W WHAT THAT IS DON'T GOOGLE IT AROUND YOUR WIFE!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back