Pro Star Rimless 200

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since the first time I saw a rimless tank I wanted one. For years I'd visit my LPS's and drool. I have an awesome tank (180 Marineland with dual overflows) but I just loved the appearance, height, and the neatness underneath. I started cycling my 180 in March after being away from the hobby for almost two years and decided that before I stock it I may as well just get what I want in it's place. Surprisingly my family agreed and before you knew it the order was placed.
I was told it would take about two weeks to receive the tank but the trucking company called me two days after the order was place to say they could deliver the next business day!
My son and laws showed up and here came the truck!

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks it’s exciting to be back. I should point out that the video was taken last month. I’m just now getting to posting and having some issues getting the others on. Once I figure it out I’ll add more

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1540F6E3-184B-46D3-95C8-907823A43A7A.jpeg

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm in the process of setting up a 230. I'm very happy with mine as well.

Your delivery guy looked much better than mine. When my tank got to the lift, it was side ways, and I swear it was about to fall off the lift because a lot of it was hanging over. But luckily it did not fall and made it in ok.

Mine also came with the stand above the tank. The stand is much lighter. I personally spent $120 on professional movers to bring it from my garage inside the house. I thought maybe I could do it with my youngest who still lives at home, but I didn't want to risk it.

The plumbing was easy to install. During the leak test, I found out my return pump has to run at only 20% of the power. I got a pump I knew was likely going to be more than I needed, but I didn't expect it to be that much more. I think I would like just a tiny bit more overflow capacity.

Overall I'm thrilled with mine so far.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I lucked out with my son n laws coming over and handling it for me.
No issues with mine other than having to play with the doors
I called the company and got excellent service.
No complaints at this point
I also noticed that the return flow is much less. The pipes are narrower so I’m sure that’s the reason.
My pump is at its minimum as well.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I'm in the process of setting up a 230. I'm very happy with mine as well.

Your delivery guy looked much better than mine. When my tank got to the lift, it was side ways, and I swear it was about to fall off the lift because a lot of it was hanging over. But luckily it did not fall and made it in ok.

Mine also came with the stand above the tank. The stand is much lighter. I personally spent $120 on professional movers to bring it from my garage inside the house. I thought maybe I could do it with my youngest who still lives at home, but I didn't want to risk it.

The plumbing was easy to install. During the leak test, I found out my return pump has to run at only 20% of the power. I got a pump I knew was likely going to be more than I needed, but I didn't expect it to be that much more. I think I would like just a tiny bit more overflow capacity.

Overall I'm thrilled with mine so far.
Congratulations on the 230!
I think you did the right thing by paying professionals
That one is considerably heavier than mine.!
How do you like the sump?

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the 230!
I think you did the right thing by paying professionals
That one is considerably heavier than mine.!
How do you like the sump?

Thanks. It boiled down to insurance and not wanting to kill my back. I think I could have pulled it off, but if I drop the tank, I'm just screwed. If they drop the tank, they buy me a new tank.

I'm surprised the 230 is much heavier than the 200. I came very close to getting the 200, it doesn't seem like that much more. I found the 230 for $2700 shipped and jumped on it though.

My sump is a little bigger than the 200. It has 6 socks rather than 3. It seems like it's going to be hard to clean that area if it needs it. Does your sump come with the covers on the top? They fit well all the way across, and also has the glass area for a refug, but I'm not sure where you are supposed to move the slides in order to remove the socks. Also my heater cords are an issue. I could use my dremel and cut some notches out easily, but then that makes that panel kind of stay in 1 place, unless I do the very edge of one - which may be my attempt at a solution. The other solution is just remove a panel to give things room to move.

The return pump area and the refugium area seem to share the same water. Like there is a panel there between the refugium and the return pump area, but it's just a panel that is lifted and water goes under it. So when the water pump area drops, the refugium area also drops. Not sure how I feel about that.

The instructions if you want to call the diagram that are terrible. But at the same time not that hard to figure out. I would have just liked more instructions so I could be sure I was doing it right. Like I just happened to notice the 3 gasket rings that were around the return pipe end. If I hadn't noticed them, it probably would have leaked there. And I assumed the 3 gaskets were for the 3 unions, but that's not the kind of things I want to be assuming. I was able to email the place I bought it from and get confirmation which made me feel better, but there should be some instructions IMO. Otherwise, it doesn't get much easier than screwing in a union for the plumbing.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those led strips look good. I kind of wish I had done that now, I just put up some little domes I found on amazon. Yours is much much brighter and better looking.

I got the 15000 instead of the 8000, and the 15000 is way too much. Looks like you made the smarter choice. On the bright side, the 15000 is running on 25 watts, which isn't too far off your 18. But I could have saved a few dollars there.

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. It boiled down to insurance and not wanting to kill my back. I think I could have pulled it off, but if I drop the tank, I'm just screwed. If they drop the tank, they buy me a new tank.

I'm surprised the 230 is much heavier than the 200. I came very close to getting the 200, it doesn't seem like that much more. I found the 230 for $2700 shipped and jumped on it though.

My sump is a little bigger than the 200. It has 6 socks rather than 3. It seems like it's going to be hard to clean that area if it needs it. Does your sump come with the covers on the top? They fit well all the way across, and also has the glass area for a refug, but I'm not sure where you are supposed to move the slides in order to remove the socks. Also my heater cords are an issue. I could use my dremel and cut some notches out easily, but then that makes that panel kind of stay in 1 place, unless I do the very edge of one - which may be my attempt at a solution. The other solution is just remove a panel to give things room to move.

The return pump area and the refugium area seem to share the same water. Like there is a panel there between the refugium and the return pump area, but it's just a panel that is lifted and water goes under it. So when the water pump area drops, the refugium area also drops. Not sure how I feel about that.

The instructions if you want to call the diagram that are terrible. But at the same time not that hard to figure out. I would have just liked more instructions so I could be sure I was doing it right. Like I just happened to notice the 3 gasket rings that were around the return pipe end. If I hadn't noticed them, it probably would have leaked there. And I assumed the 3 gaskets were for the 3 unions, but that's not the kind of things I want to be assuming. I was able to email the place I bought it from and get confirmation which made me feel better, but there should be some instructions IMO. Otherwise, it doesn't get much easier than screwing in a union for the plumbing.
434 vs 269 on actual tank weight is considerable difference. Wise decision!
It is rather difficult to get in certain areas of the sump, that's why I pulled it out and played with it prior to running water through the system. Particularly the "refugium" area in the far back corner.
I also have the plastic covers and I placed them as I thought it made most sense. I feel they remind me of carbon fiber and they cut easily. I used my Dremel to cut the center of one of the panels to run hoses for my GFO and carbon. I'll post some pics to give you a better idea how I placed mine. I also notched one to run the cable for the refugium light. Again no issue.
There are NO instructions.It's a diagram intended for you to figure out. Also, and I just discovered this, You need to go on their website and register your warranty within 15 days of purchase. No where other than in the actual website does it say this is a requirement. Not cool!
I totally agree with you about needing added instructions. The people at Pro Clear are knowledgable about their products and transferring that info to a sheet of paper would go very far.

LOL I found the rubber gaskets the same way and felt relieved that I found them prior to putting stuff together. I do have to say that the pipes went together smoothly and no leaks from the get go. Thumbs UP!

OP
OP
flyfisher2

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those led strips look good. I kind of wish I had done that now, I just put up some little domes I found on amazon. Yours is much much brighter and better looking.

I got the 15000 instead of the 8000, and the 15000 is way too much. Looks like you made the smarter choice. On the bright side, the 15000 is running on 25 watts, which isn't too far off your 18. But I could have saved a few dollars there.
Even the 8000 is too much! lol
I have it at minimum and put a valve to reduce pressure as well.
Have you noticed an oily film on your water surface?

Thanks for your comment on the LED's. I also got them on Amazon for like $15.00 Super easy to install around the inside top edge and they have a built in dimmer so its great.

Back